Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chasing

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Spike

Default Chasing

I've been seeing a lot of scrapes already, which is uncommon for Va this early... and ive had several different people say they have seen small bucks chasing just wondering what eveyone else has been seeing this year so far and where your from?? i havent seen any chasing as a matter of fact im seeing bucks together
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few does will come in early Oct. I had a friend tell me his buddy had a small 7 pointer dogging a doe the other day when a monster came out, grunting every step, and ran the small buck off and took after the doe. The guy had a 30 yard shot and missed him.

I read of other guys saying they have seen some chasing as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in SE Pa, I've seen a couple of small scrapes, which I think are a bit early also, with the typical broken overhanging branch and a small rub next to it. I'm sure it's the work of a little guy.
As far as deer movement, I'd say it's been slow lately, although I did see (too far) 2 doe Sat evening. Two more weeks and things should really be happening!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I live in central MD and have seen quite a few scrapes and a buddy actually sent me a trail cam pic of a small buck mounting a doe near his bait site. I don't believe in everything he says but Alsheimer predicts an earlier and what he called a typical rut this year with the rutting moon being at the end of October instead of November this year. I actually own several of his books and I went back in my archives as I keep every tag of every deer I have ever killed in a shoe box and compared his predictions to the harvest dates of what I considered mature bucks I had taken for my area over the last 15 yrs. With the exception of 2 years my harvest dates on the tags fell within the parameters of what he was calling the chasing and seeking phases. Never really put much faith in that stuff but I do have to say it is quite the coincedence. With the rutting moon being October 29th this year it says peak dates to harvest a mature animal will be between October 26th and November 6th this year. Anyways just some food for thought is all and before any of you bashers start to tell me how it has had no bearing on you or I'm wrong I was simply giving you my personal experiences. Let us all know what everyone is experiencing out there this year.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of tracks in freshly planted food plots and lots of "sign" around oaks that are dropping acorns. No rubs. No scrapes. SE Alabama.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Spike

thanks fellas good info
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

Here in SE Minnesota I saw 3 different young bucks chasing does yesterday, strangely enough I also saw a lot of pecking order action between the does to show dominance. Standing on hind legs and kicking each other. I was so wrapped up in watching them that I didn't see the first buck until he started to grunt. He proceeded to chase them around. At the same time a decent buck that I probably would have put an arrow into just stood back and watched. It was an awesome experience, having 12 deer within 20 yards for about an hour. I have talked to others at the same time who have seen similar actions, we have had a cold snap and apparently the yungins think its time to start going. Needless to say it was a cool experience, and three weeks from now all that action hopefully will bring the big guy!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Spike

Haven't seen any chasing in my part yet, but there are a bunch of scrapes already (mainly territorial) and lots of rubs. It is pretty normal (at least around here) for the young bucks to start feeling their oats long before the does are even close to hitting estrous. The young ones will chase does early because they want a chance before getting run off by the big boys. You should be able to tell that the does aren't receptive to it yet and want nothing to do with them.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Slowpitch42,
I live in NoVa and have seen some activity. I wasn't certain at first as I thought the young bucks were still hanging around their mom. However, with this recent cold spell i'm thinking its the start of something else.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I always see scrapes pop up in our muzzleloader season which saterted 2 weeks ago, every year for the past 18 years. its also when I change from field hunting to woods hunting. Summertime most deer dont wander to far from a field. I also hate going back in the woods when ticks, chiggars and spiders want to eat me.

Welcome to Fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.