Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone ever tried this stuff?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever tried this stuff?

I was reading about Timber Valley Deer scents and their claim to freshness. They say that they will collect and bottle deer urine from their deer and ship it directly to you with a cold pack to keep freshness. The urine is supposedly only days old when it arrives to your door. My questions were has anyone ever used them or any company doing the samething? Do you think it works and makes a difference being it is so fresh? Never liked pissing my hard earned money away but also not against stacking the odds in my favor if a product works. Please let me know any of your experiences and opinions on the matter. Thanks and look forward to hearing everyone's opinions.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

I know people that will do it on there own a time or two, these guys were apart of drury outdoors.... dont know if its a huge difference or not...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

All urine quickly breaksdown to mainly ammonia once exposed to air. Most biologists I know that have no interest or monetary ties to the industry tell me that urines "practical, effective life" is a matter of hours if a day at most. Past that I suspect it's a curiousity scent to deer. If you think about it, even after the deer pee on the ground that urine instantly begins to breakdown. BUT that suggests to me that the deer dont seem to neccessarily mind that "old" stuff as they certainly come in to daily contact with it in their daily world.

I've always thought the FRESHEST possible would be taken yourself via a syringe from a freshkill. But I've honestly never messed with it. I have done the old "remove the tarsal glands & drag them behind your boots" (from does & bucks) but can say that I never saw more than the occasional doe or toy buck come in on such a trail.

I think the only "gamechanger" you could theoretically chance would be to harvest a cycling doe during the rut & use that urine for a day or so. But even then the odds of that all hapening are pretty slim. Plus during the "prime chasin time" the LAST thing I want to mess with is a doe & if shes hot I'd much rather keep her around for "live bait!"

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-11-2012 at 12:26 PM.