Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scrape hunting?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scrape hunting?

I am just wondering if there is any scrape guru's on here. The bucks in my area are starting to seperate and lay out rub lines so i am assuming the scrapes are soon to come. Just wondering on what to look for and what you guys do as far as a mock scrape.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Spike

i live in northern alabama and ive already found some scrapes , iam new to deer hunting and asked some of the ppl i know deer hunt alot and they told me they are indeed deer scraps
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted scrapes last year no luck but I think that was just luck of the draw.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

No scrapes yet this year actually not a lot of sign other than one big buck foot print right below stand 5 so that is my starter stand in two days oh ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am huntin scrapes all this year maybe I will think diff next year or maybe that will be all I do lol!
Hunting what mind screw Eh!
Treebeard
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

They can be very productive (if) you can find the ones that they visit during daylight. If you find a string of them and can determine which way they're traveling(connect the dots) you will likely see deer! Just don't spook them. Stay downwind. A few drips of doe pee in the scrape can help. I've made a few mock scrapes that saw action too. I usually don't have to make them myself. It's pretty simple. Give it a try. Action sometimes can happen fast so be ready! Good luck
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I just have never really bothered with them, i have hunted rub lines alot with some good luck.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting where you are seeing active "scrape lines" is a good strategy ... but don't count it as a sure thing.

I use a drag rag wet with urine that I have collected from deer that I have killed. I use this and a "oily" tarsal (if I have one off a buck that I killed) in an attempt to cover up some of my "walk-in" scent. I'll rub the gland on a nearby sapling and place the drag rag and scent gland near where I am set-up. That is about as close as I come creating to a mock scrape, using a cover scent or attractant.

Not sure if any of this helps but .... why not?