Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Mock Scrapes

Hey there I am interested in starting to hunt over scrapes since the land I hunt on was logged 25 years ago and the woods are very thick and I primarily stand hunt. We have seen bucks (harvested 2) on the land. We see deer every year but mainly does. I am interested in making some mock scrapes to see what kind of deer activity they will bring. I have a few questions. I have a Magnum Dripper and Active Scrape scent. I also have Trails End, Tinks 69, and Special Golden Estrus. I live in Vermont, and the rut doesn't usually get started until late October and goes through November. The Rifle season starts November 10th, and that is when I will start hunting. So my questions are. When should I make my mock scrapes and put my dripper out? I don't want to put it out too early and have the deer visit and stop visiting by the time November 10th rolls around, and I don't want to put it out too late so the deer don't get a chance to visit it. Also what should I put in my dripper and when?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Darren

Last edited by gutdeer11; 09-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Spike

It's okay to put it out in mid October. Just don't use any doe in estrus scents yet. See a fact about scrapes that people don't know is that deer actually use them all year round. They just use them more frequently during the rut. Be sure to get it near or on a good trail. Be extremely cautious with your scent and not contaminate it. But the biggest thing you need to include is a licking branch. That's what makes it believable to deer. To use a licking branch you're going to need some preorbital gland lure for that branch.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Or you could just move the brush with your boot, piss on the bare dirt and lick the branch yourself. You will get the same results.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Spike

When should I make my mock scrapes and put my dripper out? I don't want to put it out too early and have the deer visit and stop visiting by the time November 10th rolls around, and I don't want to put it out too late so the deer don't get a chance to visit it. Also what should I put in my dripper and when?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Darren[/QUOTE]

Darren
I really don't think they will be visiting scrapes that much on Nov 10. Vermont is not that far away from NY and in NY peak of the rut is Nov 11-16. Bucks will have been bird dogging does and following them by their scent tracks. They find the hot doe and stay with her and go where ever she goes. IMHO it is better to hunt scrapes just prior to rut. When rut starts all bets are off, go where you know does are and you will see a buck!

Frank