Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Take a doe already?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Illinois we are allowed unlimited doe tags & two 'either sex' tags. I hunt/kill far more does per year than bucks. And with my two 'either sex' tags, I take one cull buck w/ lacking genetic properties just to get his gene pool off our property & then hunt the rut for a wall hanger with the other tag. Outside the rut, rarely will I ever let a doe walk.

I've noticed over the years that those hunters who continually allow deer to walk because theyre waiting for a shooter buck end up eating tag soup for the season more often than not.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Spike

Depends upon how many tags you have. If you only have one and you would rather hunt than eat venison, wait for a buck.
If you have two tags, what are you waiting for to take a doe?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I hit a doe this morning on my way to work. Sure hope i dont see it again in the morning.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

PA now thats what you call fast food. Hope yer jeep is ok
Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Pile up the does until around the 20th of October then wait on Mr. Big.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the does. Nothing better than the meat off a 90-100 pound doe !

The group I hunt with has taken 65-90 does/season ... off about 3100 acres for the past 11 seasons. Has had no noticeable effect on numbers of the bucks we see cruising the property other than raising average body weight of those we kill. Early on a buck heavier than 165# was rare. Now we kill several in the low 200's and most are 175+.