Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Blind Question

Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Blind Question

Just bought me a ground blind this past weekend and was just curious where you guys/gals like to use them. Field edges, timber, brush? I'm use to being in a tree so I'm kind of new to the ground game.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I usually set my ground blinds up along tree lines to help break up the outline of it. Only been using the blinds since last season when my son started hunting. Easier and safer than the tree stand with him. Seems to work out good for us so far.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Have used mine along the edge of fields and in the woods. Be sure to brush it in so it doesn't stick out really bad. Also hope you found yourself a comfy seat to use in it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Have used mine along the edge of fields and in the woods. Be sure to brush it in so it doesn't stick out really bad. Also hope you found yourself a comfy seat to use in it.

+1

the sun will glare off the top of the dome and make it stick out bad. Also if you leave all your windows completely down, deer will easily see you moving inside the blind.

good luck
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used mine in the woods, and a field edge... I love them!!! hek of alot better than treestands. I use a foldable lawn chair and i agree, brush it in very well! If you can find a bunch of small pines about 7 feet tall, stick in inside of them, cut shooting lanes for every window, with them branches put them against your blind and on top. It'll look great! Also, if you can, close the back of the blind windows up, deer will see right through it and see your big outline. Good luck and hope it helps!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure and remember them when finding a place to put it.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I like to nestle mine in between some evergreens. So when the leaves go down, I am not left sticking out like a sore thumb. I use a portable blind on sticks mostly, so I can assume whatever shape is needed. An umbrella type requires more room, but it can also be brushed in fairly well with a little more effort.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I would put an orange hat or vest on top of it. I do this even when I am down behind a blowdown or somewhere I really can't be seen very well.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

I like to use blinds on a field edge. I am always sure to get it out there 3-4 weeks in advance. This helps the deer get used to it and lets any odor's dicipate. I like small fields that have dense brush or hardwoods on at least three sides.