Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How High is High Enough

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Pretty much everyone is right on. The deer will tell you if you are not high enough. You will keep getting busted. The less background cover the higher you need to go. 30 foot is about max that I have ever needed. Also take in account the way the land rolls and any hills you are around.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I've been spotted at 20 feet and had deer walk right under me in a 12 foot ladder. It just depends on how well you disguise yourself I think. My 12 foot ladder stand is lower than I like to be honestly, but I conceal myself very well with some branches I cut and I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that I won't be busted from that stand all season. I always feel very well hidden in that stand. However, if you are just using the natural cover already provided I would definitely recommend going higher. Don't see much need in going too far over 20' though.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

the higher you go the steeper your arrow shot...

15' to ladder stand platform is plenty high IMO.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will know when you are high enough or too high for you can't pull you BVD's out of the crack anymore!!!!!
Seriously though, I agree with what the others have said here 100%. Your area and sorroundings will dictate on just how high you need to go. I just hung my highest stand last year and it is 30 feet to the base of the seat. I also jacked up my left tri-lat muscle doing it as well putting in the nearly 30 screw in steps. And thats with a step assist, we call it, to help screw them in. I am just first able to be able to use that arm like it is supposed to without shooting pain upto my left ear or clear to my spine in the left side. JUST began to be able to draw and shoot my bow without fear of dropping/releasing it during draw. I have 4 ladder stands to be put up for I don't want to re-injure so soon. They are 16ft. We will see.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
Yea the cover is the main thing. I hunt some really nasty hills so I try to get a high as I can most of the time. I have some that are around 30' to the platform but I ALWAYS wear a harness. If you are in anything more than a 15' ladder stand there is no excuse for not wearing one.
Just my opinion but I agree Aquaman I climb trees for a living please always wear one no matter what the height.
I fell once from 6ft landed on my back it hurt so bad missed some workdays.
I never leave the ground with out now.
We all got family's that count on us and love us be safe lads!
Treebeard
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Spike

I like to stay around 65-70 ft.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BPbowhunter92
I like to stay around 65-70 ft.
Really ?? I personally dont see going that high up. Cover determines how high I go. mostly between 12 to 22 ft is about how high I go.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
the higher you go the steeper your arrow shot...

15' to ladder stand platform is plenty high IMO.
That's definately something I have considered. I moved one of my hang ons from 25' to about 18' last year. Just a little too much angle there.