Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Locking your ladder treestand? >

Locking your ladder treestand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Locking your ladder treestand?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Locking your ladder treestand?

Just bought a Big Game Treestand (Partner Plus) model and I wanted to lock it to the tree. I just got back from Lowes and bought one of those master lock python cable locks. Should that cable and lock do the trick? Its braided steel with a cut resistant cover and the lock seems pretty darn sturdy. I plan on leaving this stand there all season due to its heaviness. What do you guys use to lock your ladder stands?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Locking your ladder treestand?

I got just a bike lock kind of the same thing. there aren't a lot of people in the area I hunt it just makes it harder for someone to just take and go.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like a big hardened steel chain that I can get under the ladder and loop around the tree. Make it as hard as you can to get a set of bolt cutters on it, especially the bigger ones needed to cut hardened chain.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM

I anchor my stand to the tree. I have a big seat on my lader and i fabricated a plate and a lag bolt so i lock the stand but then ancho with a lag.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Spike

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Sangster ...

ORIGINAL: Sangster

Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

yes a big chain with a good padlock will do the trick, try and make sure its tight against the tree and stand so that bolt cutters cant get around it to cut it. We use big heavy chains on all our stands we leave out on the property. If its a lock on stand, we put in the old sky hooks and remove the last 4 or 5 from the bottom so no one can climb up the tree to work on the stand. And if we are using the Lone Wolf Sticks, we just take the last two down as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I used a hardened steel chain and abeefy Master lock. There have been stands stolen from our club before. Make sure you run it through a welded part of the frame. The best chain in the world won't help if the theif can just unbolt a few pieces of the stand to get it off.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:29 PM

I don't lock stands anymore.

But when I did, I would just use whatever chain/lock was available. You could have a stand locked with Aircraft Carrier anchor line, if somebody wants it bad enough, they're going to get it. The lock just keeps the honest( or semi-honest) people honest.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

I generally use straps, not locks. My experience - if they want it,but can'ttake it, they destroy it.
Alway wondered who "they" are?

Quick Reply: Locking your ladder treestand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.