Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not sure what to plant

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Not sure what to plant

Hey, so the corn on our hill top field should be harvested pretty soon. Does anyone know of something easy to plant that will grow in a few weeks that the deer will love?

have access to a planter, but might have to put in the blood sweat and tears on this one...

Looking for a 4-5 weeks grower ready for end of october to attract some deer in since baiting is illegal.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where you are .... but in general ... you should be able to find free information on the better food plot crops for deer at the web site of yout state's ag university. It is very important to use the varieties that are suited for where you are located. What grows well down here in SE Alabama may not be suited well at all where you are. Just will take a little research on your part to figure it out.

If I were you, I'd assume that the corn farmer has done pH correction and I would not worry with that issue. I do not recommend you buy the nationally advertised seed blends that supposedly to grow monster racked deer. While these products may end up with a good plot, I have found that I can do just as well providing what the deer need, and attracting both deer and turkeys for a whole lot less $$$.

There is also a whole lot of good info on "how to" plant available as well. I have found that using a grain drill is by far the most effective and ecomomical method. But broadcast works good as well. Just be careful to not cover the seeds deeper than about 1/4" inch. Certainly not deeper than 1/2".

I would think that you could find a variety of oats, wheat and grain rye that will grow well .... and try a turnip in the mix. The right vatieties will germinate rather quickly if the soil conditions are right and should hold up well to both browsing and typical weather conditions.

Good luck and hope you get a big 'un.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Easiest and quickest will be wheat or oats...Just disc a bit, fertilize, disc again...Spread the wheat and lightly disc or run a drag across so you put about a half inch of soil on...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Cowpeas, depending on your zone. Out here, they're already snipping the tops...
Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wheat or Oats as mentioned...another good crop/seed to plant would be turnips,or the Rape and Brassicas blend in "Shot Plot",groundhog raddishes are another good plant to put out that will have some nice big green leafs.Most of these just need a light disc-ing and breaking up of the soil to grow.....wheat and oats are about the quickest and easiest of them all.I think Evolved Harvest also makes a "Throw & Grow" blend for quick and easy food plots but breaking up the soil will better Your odds even if all You have is a smal ATV disc would be better than bare grassy ground!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Winter rye would be a good option. It also provides feed very early in the spring, needs little fertilizer, and does well on almost any soil.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for some of the suggestions. I am pretty sure that I'll have to check out some more info as stated.

I have always wanted to try turnips or beats, something like that where they will dig them up and what not.