Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting waterholes

Old 09-08-2003, 12:30 PM

Default hunting waterholes

In general what do you consider to be the best time to hunt waterholes? Early morning or evening or all day??
Old 09-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting waterholes

in general , i' ve always been told that morning is usually the best time to hunt water holes , with evening being second
Old 09-08-2003, 08:55 PM

With all the rain we have had here this year, It would be hard enough to decide on which water hole to hunt. Most of the time if you find a nice creek bottom that has a lot of trail activity, you will see deer at all different times of the day. Mid day is when I like to be sitting on a ridge overlooking a good creek bottom or marsh.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

All of the above .
Old 09-09-2003, 10:48 AM

If its only one or the other, you would do MUCH better to hunt over water in the afternoon as thats when its HOT and the animals are searching for water. In times of extreme drought this tactic only gets better. When your area has had an extremely wet year and water is everywhere, dont waste your time hunting waterholes. You are better off looking for the enhanced growth of browse or crops under such conditions.

Most " crepuskular animals" (lmao, I think thats how its spelled. Anyway that means early/late movers like most big game animals.) wont require much water in the A.M. because of the moisture they obtained while grazing/feeding on dew covered food. After laying up allday " chewin cud" they need some water before reloading their stomach late in the afternoon and into the night. This is when the waterholes are good.

Good luck,
RA
Old 09-10-2003, 11:59 AM

what is a water hole? I' m not sure I can remember, it has been so dry this summer that all the spots I had hoped might be good dry weather holes have dried up. I had a nice little crossing where a stream leads into a marsh that I planned to canoe into and hunt again, but that is all dried up as well. I think I should put out a water tank and hunt over that, It' s not bait right!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:11 PM

Morning and evenings both are very good times to hunt them.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its only one or the other, you would do MUCH better to hunt over water in the afternoon as thats when its HOT and the animals are searching for water. In times of extreme drought this tactic only gets better. When your area has had an extremely wet year and water is everywhere, dont waste your time hunting waterholes. You are better off looking for the enhanced growth of browse or crops under such conditions.

Most " crepuskular animals" (lmao, I think thats how its spelled. Anyway that means early/late movers like most big game animals.) wont require much water in the A.M. because of the moisture they obtained while grazing/feeding on dew covered food. After laying up allday " chewin cud" they need some water before reloading their stomach late in the afternoon and into the night. This is when the waterholes are good.
ditto that