Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

season soon?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default season soon?

am i the only one super excited for deer season?? havent done any scouting, not even sure where imma hunt! going on public land somewhere right after i get my hunter ed september 14th and 15th! been out with a bow before but never killed a deer so hope to get one this year! also hope to get my shotgun to kill a deer as it has never gotten a deer before. pleanty of other critters but never a deer. well bow season starts october first and firearm season starts november 15th. well enough about my future season, how are your guy's hunting going?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

My deer seasons start the same as yours. Just a suggestion; you might want to put a little scouting time in! Now's the time! Most guys are probably out setting stands, scouting, planning entrance routes to their stands, Etc.
I'm not saying that you have to, but merely suggesting it! Alot of preparation goes into "hunting" the big boys! We wait patiently all year for deer season, so it's best to have a plan. Taking field notes can give you something to look back on every year and you can compare tactics, stand sites, deer movement, weather, Etc. Good luck this year!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Yea season starts Saturday and I am PUMPED!!!! we got a lot of good deer on camera and plenty of daytime movement. I have been working on my spots since May putting feed out and cameras, hanging stands, cutting lanes and trails, ect. I have hunted public land in Ohio before so i know this is hard to do. The main thing that you might want to do if you are hunting public land is walk. We hunted East Fork with i think is around 2700 acres. We spend days out there just walking around. It paid off with our group of 5 harvesting (1) 165 in 12 pointer and a 135in 6 pointer that was aged at 9 1/2 years old! all of us either had a shot at big buck or saw one. if you are familiar with the land already from gun hunting then you may be OK! good luck man i know there are a lot of bruisers here in KY!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PREDATE
My deer seasons start the same as yours. Just a suggestion; you might want to put a little scouting time in! Now's the time! Most guys are probably out setting stands, scouting, planning entrance routes to their stands, Etc.
I'm not saying that you have to, but merely suggesting it! Alot of preparation goes into "hunting" the big boys! We wait patiently all year for deer season, so it's best to have a plan. Taking field notes can give you something to look back on every year and you can compare tactics, stand sites, deer movement, weather, Etc. Good luck this year!!!
The wma opens september 15th so im prolly gonna head out there squirrel hunting a few times before deer season and scout while im out there.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
Yea season starts Saturday and I am PUMPED!!!! we got a lot of good deer on camera and plenty of daytime movement. I have been working on my spots since May putting feed out and cameras, hanging stands, cutting lanes and trails, ect. I have hunted public land in Ohio before so i know this is hard to do. The main thing that you might want to do if you are hunting public land is walk. We hunted East Fork with i think is around 2700 acres. We spend days out there just walking around. It paid off with our group of 5 harvesting (1) 165 in 12 pointer and a 135in 6 pointer that was aged at 9 1/2 years old! all of us either had a shot at big buck or saw one. if you are familiar with the land already from gun hunting then you may be OK! good luck man i know there are a lot of bruisers here in KY!
haha i was raised in ky hunted there all my life since this year! seen a few nice bucks but for the most part our herd sucked. just bad management and neighbors sneaking onto our property and pressuring the deer bad. i know their is alot of big bucks out there though! what part of kentucky are you hunting? ive seen ALOT of big ole deer in livingston county i want to get a lease there in a few years when i go back to kentucky
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

I'm ready for my season to start. I have a friend giving me a bow so I can start Oct 1. Firearms starts Nov 18. I've done a little scouting but haven't seen any deer on my cam yet (its only been out 2 weeks).
Old 08-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Spike

I live in Ohio and the season starts sept 29 I'm really ready for the season to start this year I've got my stands up and still out looking for the big buck I have been looking for. For the last 12 years but this year I hung a stand on a point of trees about 5 yards thick in between to corn fields so that's where I'll be the opening day
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Aftershock95
I hung a stand on a point of trees about 5 yards thick in between to corn fields so that's where I'll be the opening day
Sounds good, but do you have a good backdrop? Ya' wouldn't want that turdy pointer skylining you, spacially when them leaves fall!!

LoL, I'm sure you already thought of that! Good luck this year!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Spike

Yes I have trees to my back and trees to the east of me and it's open to the west of me where the trail comes out of the woods
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Aftershock95
I live in Ohio and For the last 12 years but this year I hung a stand on a point of trees about 5 yards thick in between to corn fields so that's where I'll be the opening day
I wanna see 12 pics of slobbbbbs!