Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Napping As A Hunting Strategy

Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default Napping As A Hunting Strategy

How many of you enjoy napping in your stand as a hunting strategy? Usually a few days into the hunt a nap in my stand is the best thing ever. I'm in the woods "being one with nature" and a nice peaceful feeling comes over me. Which leads to a small nap.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Gotta admit I'm guilty of a nap or 2 while out!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'm afraid to nap in my stands, but I use basic ladder stands so there isn't much room for error. Now if im on the ground or in a blind I may catch one from time to time.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I tend to doze off while i sit. Especially if its mid afternoon, like 2 oclock when its generally slow. It helps pass those afternoon hours where you Need to be in the stand so youre set for primetime. I've been awaken by that familiar breaking of sticks or leaves rustling to find deer right near me many times...but to elmoughler's point, i only do that when i have my harness on.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Spike

I like to nap when it is in the morning, waiting for a bit of light. Sure I could be paying attention to what's going on around me but that would ruin my nap!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I don't nap while hunting. I get all the sleep I need in the off season!! My cousin has missed a few great opprotunities due to napping in the woods!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I like to nap when it is in the morning, waiting for a bit of light. Sure I could be paying attention to what's going on around me but that would ruin my nap!
That sudden slap on the ground would ruin your nap, and your day.
Make sure to have your safety harness on.
My sisterinlaws uncle fell asleep, then fell to his death.
So I can't handle napping in a stand.
Only on the ground where its safe.
No naps for me.

JMHO
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

lol "Guilty as charged"!

I have had more than my share of naps in a treestand and even have trained myself to "listen" for approaching deer despite my eyes being closed. Works fine if in close, woods with noisy leaves on the ground. I remember waking up once on a field edge and seeing a LARGE deers rearend walking back into the woods!

Turkey season tho, man I'll get in a prime spot, pull out my call and hit it a few times, lay it beside me and zonk out. I've actually been awakened more than once by gobbles! One time in southern MO, mid morning, I set up 20yds inside the woods from a powerline/road intersection "favored strut area" where I'd had success before. I sat down, called a few times and went to sleep. 15 mins later 10yds behind me a THUNDEROUS GOBBLE nearly caused me cardiac arrest. I somehow managed NOT to jump, my eyes flew opened and I could hear the bird drumming and walking in the leaves behind me. I dared not move. He THUNDERED another gobble and was looking for "me".

I thought, "Got nothing to lose." I decided to roll out on my right side (I shoot left handed) and only come up to my knees. I did, the bird froze and looked at me. Our eyes met and he had that, "OH $*#* I'm $*(@#*!" look in his eyes and he was about to spin to hightail it out of there. TOO LATE, my 870 Supermag roared and sent him rolling a yard or two down the hill.

My sons sleep CONSTANTLY, they expect "old dad" to wake them up when the game arrives! They have me trained VERY well.

Better asleep in the stand/blind if it means you being there and still vs getting up and going home!
HL
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Spike

Understood on the safety harness, I always wear one. Sorry to hear about your SIL's uncle.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Spike

I enjoy hunting for various reasons and pulling the trigger isn't at the very top. I get my deer for sure and if I hit a drought I would be more feverish but I enjoy being out there with my brother, uncle and friends. A nap here and there adds to my enjoyment. Once after I'd taken all the deer I wished to take I took a book up there and read it... napped a bit, etc. I watched a few deer go by and I just observed. It was great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.