Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Napping As A Hunting Strategy

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

When I feel like a nap, I take one. I'm in the woods to enjoy it, the hunt isn't always top priority. I've had many good naps during early archery deer and also in squirrel season.
-Jake
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

i've never napped, but i have read. highly recommend it.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not no, but heck no !!! Getting into a habit of napping while sitting in a tree stand, I don't care what make or model, is asking for a disaster .... harness or no harness. For darn sure if you are not wearing a quality fall restraint. A few years ago I saw an ad that flat out stated that sleeping in their climber was perfectly safe ... arrgh !
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

i am guilty of an occassional nap. ask the guy i was filming 2 years ago he had to wake me up when a bigone came in.. yep he didnt connect lol
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of the no's unless in a ground blind,but I will read a book in a heart beat.My wife bought we a Nook so I want have to move much to turn the page this year.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta side with jrbsr and any others that said NO. Even with a proper fall restraint!!! If you have one on, and fall, and knock yourself out,,,, yes you have saved yourself from hitting the ground. BUT!!!!! Hanging there in your restraint will cut off the blood flow, and you will DIE!! The restraint is meant to keep you from hitting the ground should you fall. At that point, you can then get ahold of the tree or climbing stick and get yourself to saftey.

That said, my answer to your question is yes. I will climb down and use my pack as a pillow and take a midday nap if I so choose. Never in the tree.

@Mojotex, one of the ones that may have claimed that was the Treelounger. A buddy of mine used to sleep in his till it was light enough to see. Far as I know, with no issues. Still not I would do though.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doze off here and there for a few minutes, especially in box blinds with office chairs. I've been know to have a few after the hunt and get to bed a little too late. Heck, thats half the fun of hunting camp. If I'm in a tree, I very rarely do, I might rest my eyes but thats about it. Sometimes I will close my eyes and let me ears point me in the right direction if I hear faint sounds far away. Sometimes your eyes will lead you in the wrong direction of distant sound.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Spike

Sometimes I wish I could nap out there. I always get too nervous I will miss something coming through the area. Plus, I wait so impatiently all year to get out there I don't want to miss a second of it.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Spike

If I am in my blind, summit viper, or tree lounge a nap may very well be in the forecast. Harness? ALWAYS !!! In the woods i sleep light enough that I dont think one has ever gotten past me.......I think.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
How many of you enjoy napping in your stand as a hunting strategy? Usually a few days into the hunt a nap in my stand is the best thing ever. I'm in the woods "being one with nature" and a nice peaceful feeling comes over me. Which leads to a small nap.
Since I'm usually in a small climbing stand, napping is a bad idea. I have been known to doze off occasionally while in a ground blind, but I don't like to do that. I'm there to hunt, not sleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.