Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the bucks ?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Question Where are the bucks ?

I have acquired a new farm to hunt over the summer. It is located in a super area of our county where good bucks are taken every year. I was able walk over a good portion of this farm in Febuary of this year and saw a lot of deer sign, and several rubs and a couple old scrapes. I have seen, over the last few weeks, some old bigger rubs. I have been running a trail cam for the last two weeks, just on trails. I have about 50 pictures, all does. Am I just in the wrong place? Can't figure it out. The farm was select cut, probably 25 years ago, with a 20 acre lake on it. Mostly young trees, crp, and hardwoods. Bordered by crop land.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Where there are does, come the rut, the bucks too will be...
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

Could you post a google earth view so we can really help you? Just hide the coordinates(lat./long.) before you do.
If not, I'd say to put a trailcam on the edges of heavy cover, for example, where the hardwoods meet the crp/crops. Or near food sources with thick cover nearby.
Try glassing the fields(from a distance with binoculars) before sundown and you should be able to see where they're coming from. Good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by invmp12
I have acquired a new farm to hunt over the summer. It is located in a super area of our county where good bucks are taken every year. I was able walk over a good portion of this farm in Febuary of this year and saw a lot of deer sign, and several rubs and a couple old scrapes. I have seen, over the last few weeks, some old bigger rubs. I have been running a trail cam for the last two weeks, just on trails. I have about 50 pictures, all does. Am I just in the wrong place? Can't figure it out. The farm was select cut, probably 25 years ago, with a 20 acre lake on it. Mostly young trees, crp, and hardwoods. Bordered by crop land.
They are most likely at another food sourse.
When they eat all of that, they will return.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Spike

I agree with everybody else. I bought 58 acres this year and I had pictures of a bachelor group on my property for about a month, and several pictures of bucks just walking through. About 10 different bucks in all. I havent had pictures of a buck in 3 weeks, just a lot of does. But dont worry, where the does are consistently is where the bucks will be very soon. I saw the bachelor group last week bout a half mile down the road on a neighbors property,and the guy across the road said he saw a 6pt and 8pt running a fence row yesterday morning on my property. Just remember cameras only cover a very small portion of ground. The bucks may be walking right behind it. I have always heard the deer have a home area of about 2 square miles,so come the rut you will probably see bucks youve never seen before.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

PREDATE, I will try and post something for you to look at may take me a few minutes, this property is hard to explain. This farm, was set aside in CRP many, many years ago, when it came out of CRP, it was never farmed again. Some of the fields were mowed around, some were not. Some places are so thick, I don't mean a spot here and a spot there, acres of small trees, 6" to10" apart, briars, honey suckle, just trails winding through it. Then there is a select cut hardwoods. Some of the mowed areas a shaped into fingers that stretch out throughout the farm around the lake. A creek runs through the farm emptying into the lake. It is impossible to glass this farm. Rolling hills and thick. This farm is approx. 250 acres. All and can do is move the camera around week to week and see what happens. PREDATE I sent you a private MSG.