Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ohio posting laws?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default ohio posting laws?

alright guys last year i bought a farm in southeast ohio and leased two. i have a neighbor on the farm i bought getting his panties up in a bunch because i posted my signs right on the line. he claims that they need to be 10 ft. off of the line on my side, when his fence is on the line and even on parts of my property (which im fine with, but just saying how does that make sense? lol). I can not find anywhere online about the laws on posting. i am a resident of PA and if this were the case in pa i would be perfectly fine. please help me out guys.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this, it might not help, then again maybe it will......

http://www.ehow.com/list_6662730_law...igns-ohio.html
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Spike

thank you.. yeah i looked at that artical yesterday... it has some good info but not imformitive on the proper way of placing a poster sign.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about Ohio, but in MN and I believe WI. The signs only have to be posted "prominently" and about every 150' or so. Another place to look would be the DNR website for Ohio.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Spike

Why don't you go on the DNR web site get the phone number of the wild life officer in the county that you own land in and call them. I'm sure they would know or could get you an answer.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Posted signs in Ohio are an invitation for the DNR to visit any time they drive by. If you post a property off limits it gives the dnr the right to make sure the signs are followed including you. If you don't mind the visit-s, have at it. I'm not thrilled with seeing people walk up on me on my own land.

The only real way to keep people off is to let someone squat on the place and look after it. I know a WV hillbilly who'd love the job.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Post it as No Hunting except by written permission. The best advice is to go to your wildlife enforcement agency and ask them for a copy of the regulation that says how to post your property. read it and then ask for any clarification in writing then post according to what you have. You can't go wrong that way. And get the name ofthe person you are talking too.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

posting regs will vary,
in general they wont tell you specifically how to post,
they will just state has to be conspicuous,
you have to use your better judgement as to how conspicuous applies to that site,
if your neighbor claims has to be 10' off the line,
then tell him nicely, thanks for pointing that out, i looked up the regs and didnt see that mentioned anywhere,
he could be BS'ing you or he could believe that,
could be an old rule/reg from years ago.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

The property I hunt is surround by a land owner that breeds horse and is completely anti-hunting. His signs are directly on the property line with No Hunting/No Tresspassing. Is this law? Dunno, but it works for me.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also been told (ohio) you only need one sign per property no matter what the size is. On the line is fine as long as you know the line and can prove it, which will probably end up in court as a LEO isn't a surveyor.

Last edited by nodog; 08-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.