Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

870 express vs. supermag

Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default 870 express vs. supermag

hey yall, im gettin an 870 tomorrow after work and I need your input. Should I go with the supermag that will shoot 3 1/2" or are 3" shells plenty. I will primarily be using this gun for turkey hunting an occasionally deer.

Also, what barrel length would be the best for me? I also want to be able to duck hunt with this gun as well

Thanks everyone
Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

3.5" for turkeys! Waterfowl also if you shoot regular steel, if you shoot non-tox/steel alternative then 3" is ok.

With todays choke & load technology a 24"-26" barrel is FINE!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I have no need for a super mag. I know some guys who hunt geese use the super mag though. For turkey 3" shells are plenty. Not that bigger wouldn't be better. Is there a price difference? If not might as well have the option of the super mag. If there is a big difference I'd be happy with the express.
-Jake
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Spike

Hope ya went with the super mag. That's what I been shooting for the past 12 years. It's always better to go bigger. But you still will have to pattern your new gun. Even if you have the 3.5 inch you might find a 3 inch shell will hold a tighter pattern. But why not always have options. Good luck man!

Yooo Buck!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Spike

Hope ya went with the super mag. That's what I been shooting for the past 12 years. It's always better to go bigger. But you still will have to pattern your new gun. Even if you have the 3.5 inch you might find a 3 inch shell will hold a tighter pattern. But why not always have options. Good luck man!

Yooo Buck!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have the express with a 18in slug barrel and a 28in smooth barrel.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

i went with the 28 inch supermag, i love it. Thanks for the input. Ill let ya how it shoots
Attached Thumbnails 870 express vs. supermag-photo-2012-08-17-17.00.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I have that exact gun and couldn't be happier. I have killed everything from ducks to deer to squirels with it. Oh yea I also used it as a trap shooting gun for two seasons shooting roughly 200 rounds a week for two months out of the year. I estimate mine has around 8500 to 10000 rounds through it and have had very few problems with it. The ejection spring is wearing out on my and doesn't quite shoot 'em out like she did in her younger years. Great gun! Have fun and enjoy!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats paint, I think you'll really like that SM. It's the "jack of all trades" as far as scatterguns go. The 28 is longer than I'd like but they certainly don't ring your ears in close quarters like the shorter barrels do.

If you plan on doing much deer hunting with it I'd recommend a cantilever slug barrel for it. (Scope mounts on barrel, stays with it, no re-sighting required each time you put the barrel into the reciever) 18" slug barrel and todays sabot slugs are LIGHTYEARS ahead of yesterdays old slugs. 200yds is a childsplay if you spend a little time with a quality barrel, decent scope and some premium sabot slugs!

If you REALLY want to make it a long range turkey gun look up "Nitro Ray" in southern MO. His loads and chokes are second to NONE!!! Consistent 65yd turkey gun if you hunt in open areas much. http://www.nitrocompany.com/
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the data. The primary difference between a 3" "magnum" load and a 3 1/2" "magnum" load is the total mumber of pellets in the shot column. Muzzle velociy is about the same. And it is the choke that shapes the pattern that you want depending upon what your preferences are. Either choice is plenty for large fowl such as geese or turkey ... I'd say out to the 40 +/- yard range no doubt.

Add a rifled slug barrel to a 3" "shot gun" and you're looking at being able to take deer sized game cleanly out to 125-150 yards.

The recoil of a 3 1/2" shell is severe to say the least, but some folks don't mind it. I for one do!