Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My new hunting lease.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default My new hunting lease.

I was wondering if I am paying to high a price the property is around 80 acres but is surrounded by 1000's of acres of whitetail habitat I am in Illinois and the lease cost me 2 grand what do you think is that to much?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever lights your fire, but I wouldn't pay half that much for 80 acres no matter how good it is!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

it was actually 180 acres if that helps any.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Do u think its worth it...? Ive heard of guys paying well over double that to hunt ground a county over from me. 180 acres come out to 11 dollars an acer that sounds not so bad

Last edited by Mibowhunter91; 08-18-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Well around here you can ask 100 people and 95 of them will say the land is already being hunted,the other 5 will say they dont allow hunting,after years and years of hunting public lands,countless interrupted hunts i started working for this land owner,I know guys that previously worked for him all said there was no way he would ever allow deer hunting on his land and it hasn't been hunted in over 14 years long story short I talked him into leasing the land to me I tried to get it for $500.00 but he wouldn't he says the neighbor is getting close to 10 grand a year on a lease the rumor is there is such a big buck in the area that they are willing to pay that price but thats not why I took the lease I took the lease because I wont have to deal with the public hunting lands and its close to me that is why this lease feels worth it to me,I know there will be deer,I am going to put a cam out this week.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Spike

I wouldn't pay more than $6 a acre but land availability might be a lot different there than it is here in s.c.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It it's a good area and it's 180 acres, rather than 80, and there is nowhere decent to hunt in your neck of the woods, I would then probably consider paying that much. If the property hasn't been hunted for that many years, there should be good bucks from day one, meaning you don't need to do too much to get started. I can see where you would lease it to at least see what happens the first year and then go from there. Is it a yearly or multi-year lease and are you the only one allowed to hunt or can you take a buddy or family member along? Also, is it a year around lease to hunt turkey and other game because that would probably be the deciding factor for me?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

yes that includes any type of hunting I want to do and fishing the lake.I am allowed only 1 guy.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If You enjoy it there and eventually shoot a nice Buck then it's worth the money spent,take good care of the Land and respect the Owners wishes and You should have many years of great Hunting and wonderful memories!

Let's us know if You get some nice trail camera pictures!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it Fulton County? If its Fulton or a neighboring county I think your doing just fine. I personally think Fulton is the top county in Illinois to get a trophy buck. I've talked to a lot of real estate agents that specialize in hunting property and they think Fulton is the best county to shoot a giant buck. It sounds like $2000 is a good price to pay if you hunt enough and live close by. The thing with Fulton is that there are 180 to 200 class bucks there and at any point the buck of a lifetime could come running by. Good luck and hopefully you can get some cameras out ASAP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.