Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best home brew attractant for photos >

Best home brew attractant for photos

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best home brew attractant for photos

Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best home brew attractant for photos

Hi all,

Finally have a break from the hear coming up and I plan on putting the cameras out. Usually I put corn out mixed with some Buck Jam or the likes to get the most pics of what's in the area. That has deemed to be a great combo. After the initial placement, I can always refresh with straight corn after that if I want to keep cam in area.

I've noticed price of the attractants have gone up a bunch now. $8-$9 for most Buck Jam types, that gets pricey especially since I do 3 sites for a few weeks then do 3 more etc (only 3 cams). I haven't looked recently but I'm sure corn prices will be high as well with the weather conditions.

Looking to make my own attractant for this year. This is just for photos to see what's in area, I usually stop by the season so I just need a good late summer formula. I have access to a great feed store near me as well as a Tractor Supply. I'm not good with these type of things so the more specific the better. Thanks so
Much for any help!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Here is what I used in the past: It takes some experimenting to see what you like.
Mix corn, oats, (mineral salt if you want it to be a mineral lick), and molasses in a bowl and mix. Wait 20 minutes or so add more molasses if you think it is needed. Put ingredience in a non-stick pan. I also add pam spray to it, the molasses makes it stick. Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for 45 to 75 minutes. Keep checking on it. Let cool and take blocks out of pan and wrap in plastic wrap until use.
If there are bears in the area I wouldn't advise using this.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can try cheap peanut butter,add a little peanut oil let sit over night.Take it to the site remove the lid and screw it to a tree.Screw the jar back on and cut a slit in the bottom side.Over time the peanut butter will start to run out and the deer will lick it.
My problem with this was bees but the deer had there shot after dark.