Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Moving to Michigan from Louisiana >

Moving to Michigan from Louisiana

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moving to Michigan from Louisiana

Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default Moving to Michigan from Louisiana

there is a good chance that I will be moveing to Traverse city, MI. , I am in the oil and gas industry and am opening a new office there. I have never lived outside of LA. I would love to know all about the hunting, tips on how, where, gear, local standards, best areas, do's and don'ts. Any information would be helpful, maybe even a local to show me around. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I can tell you this you will fall in love with the outdoors in Michigan. It is one of the most wonderful states I have ever been too. Hunting and fishing are part of the fabric of life there. I am not sure on the regs and such, but the bad side is they have winter there....really they have snow and cold.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Welcome!

As said above the outdoors is a big part of life up here. The great thing is everyone hunts! The bad thing is EVERYONE hunts! Try to secure some private land if you plan on gun hunting the opener 11.15. There is a lot of state and federal land but I would never get near it during gun season. The regular archery season starts October 1 and isn’t as bad. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Northern Winters!! I have no experience in Michigan, but I'm a close neighbor in Ohio. Cold and Snow, big change for you. Can't help ya much on the hunting part, but I've heard good things and some good deer come from michigan every year.
-Jake
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Double Post.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-18-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Robow45
As said above the outdoors is a big part of life up here. The great thing is everyone hunts! The bad thing is EVERYONE hunts! Try to secure some private land if you plan on gun hunting the opener 11.15. There is a lot of state and federal land but I would never get near it during gun season. The regular archery season starts October 1 and isn’t as bad. Good luck!
what he said, There are a ton of hunters in this state.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info, yea I won't know how to act in the snow, it will be different for sure.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

buckaholic, I'll likely get beat down by someone, but the fact of the matter is you'd be moving from one of the worst deer management states to the 2nd worst. That is not to say there aren't lots of deer there, but with two rifle buck tags/hunter/season in prime rut = bucks rarely see 2nd year. Just have to adpot if it's brown it's down mentality. That is why I see so many MI & LA plates in western IL every year.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is "I'm sorry".lol
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't argue with the mismanagement statement, but the main rut is pretty well over most years before the rifle season opens on 11/15. Prime time for the rut up here is during bow season the first half of the month. The two buck regulation is with a bow and/or gun and it used to be 4, so at least we moved in the right direction there.