Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please wear your harness

Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Spike

I've posted this before, cut any scrub/saplings around your stand flush with the ground. Had the op had "pungi" sticks around his stand, he may not have been fortunate enough to have to be recovering from broken/shattered bones.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

One more thing, keep your cell phone in your pocket in case of emergency. If it is in your truck or atv and you need it, you ain't gonna have it. I know two people that fell checking dang rotten wood stands, both had their cell phone within 100 yards and couldn't get to it.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very good advice and one which I can relate to as when I was just a kid out playing I was running along and fell on a broken stub of a small tree and broke my sternum. If it had been a little to one side or the other it could have gone right through into a lung. A fall from a stand onto something like that would be a real disaster.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sorry for the pain

Since you volunteered, I wonder, did you fall, not because you were not wearing a safety harness, but really fell because you were not using any type of safety system, at all.
I was using a safety system long before the safety harnesses came on the market, and I never fell. Just wondering what you're saying.