Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hang on stands--How To?

Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Default RE: Hang on stands--How To?

I hang a bunch of treestands each year .. and after years of busting my butt I finally made something to help.

Take about a 6' length of rope with a loop on each end. Attach a carabiner to one side. When you get to the point you want to hang your stand attach enough pegs to allow you to reach 3' or 4' above this point and wrap your line around the tree and thread the carabiner through the empty loop and let it hang down to where your stand will be hung. When you pull the stand up you can loop the rope attached to your stand through the carabiner and pull that way. If you get tired it is a lot easier to hold the rope if it is run through the carabiner. When you get the stand to the carabiner attach the carabiner to the stand, this will allow you to concentrate on attaching the strap or chain around the tree tightly and securing the stand. Of course if you do this you won' t experience the fun of trying to hold the stand against the tree 25 feet in the air with 1 hand and wrap the chain/strap with the other while standing on a peg with your left foot and wrapping your right around the tree to keep you from falling.

The bonus to using the rope with the carabiner besides allowing you to hold the tree with 1 hand is that it makes you put in steps high enough to attach the rope above the spot where you want the stand to go. For some STUPID reason we had always hung the stands above the top steps we had in the trees making the getting into and out of the stand part a little tricky. I' m part squirrel, but as I get older I know if I don' t start getting a little smarter and more careful I' ll end up in the hospital.

Almost forgot .. I then keep the extra rope and carabiner in my pack after all the stands are hung as the rope I use to attach to my safety strap.