Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Price of getting old

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Price of getting old

You remember; a lot more stuff and things that worked and didn't work for hunters.

Take my insulated boots. Broke in some fairly new, unused, "insulated rubber boots," on a non-hunting walk this week.

I used them on a dirt trail for over a mile on two consecutive days. The warm part worked well; no sweaty feet; the heavy weight wouldn't if you were out of shape and thirty pounds overweight. These boots are truly what we use to call "clodhoppers".

If using them this winter hunting season, I just won't use them on consecutive days of cold weather hunting. I'll go with a still useable pair of very old Kaufman Sorel Sno-pak boots. I used them in -15 degrees and they're a lot lighter.
Maybe the new insulated boots will be the backup, used for a day only if the Sno Paks get wet.

Remembering Sorel Sno-Paks just makes me old. And I remember when they were heavy. And my carcass is now decades older.

Gives the truth of pre-season walking and exercise. With the young newbies, who are out of shape, they sure are going to pay a price for using these new "insulated rubber boots."
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

One advantage. Now, due to peripheral artery disease, I can no longer feel my feet so I don't know when they get cold.

Course on the downside, met a dandy lookin woman yesterday, saw her today and couldnot remember her name.

On the upside, didn't make any difference.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

While getting in shape and pre workin some new boots are a good idea I dont think it is that big of a issue.
I did it this past fall and trust me I am way more than 30lbs out of shape lol
Get healthy gang
Treebeard
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

When I was messing around in the mountains guiding elk hunters and hunting things that liked high places, I would wear out a pair of boots a year. I use to break them in on the treadmill at the club. Always had a dandy lookin woman in spandex in front of me. made it a lot easier.

Seriously, when a lot of walking is involved, getting theboots broken in before starting up the mountain ranked high in my importance list.

Now, and I am serious about this, I walk about three miles a day at a moderate 14-minute pace. I walk barefoot! I wear a pair of heavy wool socks. That is all and I have eliminated 90% of my back and knee pain. I'm serious. Try it for a week.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scribe
Now, and I am serious about this, I walk about three miles a day at a moderate 14-minute pace. I walk barefoot! I wear a pair of heavy wool socks. That is all and I have eliminated 90% of my back and knee pain. I'm serious. Try it for a week.
I am a walker also, & as soon as the weather warms up I am going to put your theory to the test, I hope it works, Thanks for the tip!! Doc
Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the heavy cumbersome high sided Hunting Boots,they were a chore to walk in and finally split in all the area's it could possibly cause them to leak.....so I ended up getting the Muck "Chore" boots that only go up 1/2 way on the calfs on my legs,they are a lot warmer,lighter and better made than any other boots I have owned.

Scribe.....You walk barefooted,but put on a pair of wool socks?Is this inside while exercising out outside on bare ground?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I seldom wear rubber boots but when I do, I wear Mucks. Only comfortable rubber boot I ever found.