Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

unguided hunts

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default unguided hunts

i'm having a hard time finding a farm or ranch in texas online to deer hunt next season. i'm active duty stationed a long way from texas and that makes it harder. i can't just go knock on someones door and ask permission to hunt their land. i have found lots of outfitters and leases but they all have guided hunts. i dont want some other fella telling me what to shoot and when to shoot. i am looking for a small piece of land that i can roam around on to spot and stalk or do what ever. i don't like just sitting in a deer box or stand... that doesn't feel like hunting. i guess hunting is such a business now that if you dont have your own piece of dirt you have to do it their way, or hunt public land. anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. it looks like my only options if i want to hunt when i go home next deer season is to pay stupid amount of money to hunt with a guide or hunt public land. later guys.... God Bless
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Active duty?
Check your local bases see if you can hunt there.
Here in ny military are allowed to hunt certain sections of the base, and have pretty good hunting land,
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much state hunting land in Texas,especially in west Texas, to keep lease fees low or make much fee free land available.
I think they charge so much for a guided hunt, they don't trust a non guide paying hunter to be even have a rifle on the land.

Being cheap,here's one place I would start. Good luck!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ic/lands/maps/

If I was active military, I would find a military base to hunt east of the Mississippi River, and use Texas to visit some folks.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-20-2012 at 01:33 PM.