Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
buying land next to wildlife ranch >

buying land next to wildlife ranch

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buying land next to wildlife ranch

Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Spike

Default buying land next to wildlife ranch

I have the opportunity to buy 300 acres of of very rural land for hunting deer, turkey, and hogs. While researching the property, I found out it is bordered on one side by a 4000 acre ranch recently purchased by some sort of hunting association from texas. I don't know specifically their use of the land but apparently they have already put stands all over their property. My question is, would you consider this an advantage or perhaps a disadvantage and therefore not buy the property? I can justify this both ways in my mind so I thought I would ask for the opinions of a few close friends. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

If it were me, I would try to find out their deer management plans. If they are only going to allow mature bucks to be harvested, then that might allow some big deer to be frequenting the neighboring properties. Just IMO.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Spike

I like the place I just don't know what impact commercial hunting clubs have on surrounding area wildlife. On one hand I would assume they would have an interest in improving the heard. On the other hand, I worry about it getting hunted out. My plans for property are to go all out with planting food plots, minerals etc so I think I would be ok??? I just worry about making that kind of investment and not having the animals I want. Another worry i guess might be having my kids there all of the time and bullets flying around but not sure if I should be too concerned about that or not.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Don't make the investment until you know their plans. Contact them, they should be open to letting you know their intent. Not worth your time if they're just gonna rape the land. But if they have good plans, then it should help you.
-Jake
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't be too concerned, 4000acres and your 300 acres allows for plenty of buffer room.
You will never get the perfect neighbor,
Even a neighboring farm that's been a farm for generations could one day decide to sell and you got condos overlooking your land,
Or the county can decide to put a dump on your doorstep.
And even if they plan on hunting the heck out of that land, think they will tell you?
I would take a hunting club owning 4000 acres next door over unknown neighbors
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

The area that I hunt has a neighbor raises horses and is anti-hunting, so there is less foot traffic on his property then where im at. It seems that I see more game on his property than I do on mine because they know they are safe. Could be the same situation for you, but in your favor. If they are aggresively hunting thier property then the surrounding game may find a safe havon on your property.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone. I just found out that there is 15-20 acres within the 330 that belongs to someone else. Current owner says doesn't know who owns it and there has not been anyone inquire about it since they, or the previous owner, has had the land. So, will be contacting the county tax assessor this week to track that down. Oh well, more homework to do...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

I'd think they would be a far better neighbor than average as far as your hunting is concerned.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing I'd be asking is if they have any plans of high fencing your property line since that would really limit your 300 acres with no game coming and going like it can now. If there are no high fence plans, you would probably have even better hunting with game moving to your place with the pressure the 4000 acres might get. Game would probably move to your place before they could ever shoot that other place out.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I'd definitely try to get a feel for them before I made any decisions.