Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized >

Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gun870guy
On behalf of my seat with the state and the Kansas Bowhunter's Association. I have voted no to all the proposed season changes and issues regarding the use of tracking dogs and Crossbows in the state.
Look if you don't want to use leashed tracking dogs on wounded animals... don't. And don't try to tell me you've never wounded an animal. Likewise if you don't want to use a crossbow ... don't. But why tell other people who may want these options available they can't! Please educate yourself on the issues. Now I know WHY I don't belong to the Kansas Bowhunters Association.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

So who needs you? I had a Scottish Terrier that could have tracked a dead deer floating down the river. I have a carry permit and I am taking the dog for a walk. Prove it otherwise. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to SE Pa. Half these people around here would not let you on their property to look for a lost child, and the other half probably had something to do with it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gun870guy
I grew up in NY.. and this has never been legal unless its recent..

Most of the landowners I knew had standing kill orders on dogs seen on their properties...
You really need to read a bit better.

It's been legal for several years- 1986 - to use a registered tracking dog on a leash. Of course they can only be used on public land or where you have permission and any landowner can deny permission to anyone to track and recover.

Your landowners would want you to shoot a dog on a leash being held by someone there with permission? Probably not.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is also illegal in NY, and has been for some time, for anyone other then law enforcement to shoot a dog unless they or livestock are actively being threatened.. Those who do so and get caught get charged and convicted for the most part.

I take it you left some time ago or else didn't bother to know the laws?