Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized >

Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized

Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My own .02 cents on this debate/discussion. I myself arrowed a nice adult doe this past archery season here in Il, (See my blog "Bad night, a first!!!) My brother and I trailed that doe for over 4 hours on hands and knees with nothing. Only to find it later. Between my brother and I we have taken over 300 deer and this being my first to not recover and his 3rd. I would have given a $150 for someone to have brought out dogs to recover that doe. Just to ensure that she was not wasted and put down humanley.
So am I in favor of dogs being used "TO RECOVER DEER", AFTER being shot, yes. Am I in favor of dogs being used "TO TRAIL/CHASE DEER", BEFORE being shot, no. Am I in favor of dogs being put down that are chasing deer around the woods, I have heard that it happens.
As far as crossbows go, I am in favor of people who are medically evaluated by a competent doctor who makes a professional determination that the individual is physically unable to draw and maintain a normal bow draw weight be allowed a crossbow. I tried to get my dad to go to a xbow. He is a 2 tour Vietnam Vet, , Diabetic, and with corpal tunnel in both hands, 51 years as a meat cutter. And they damned near would not allow him a permit, even though he has to put his razor and toothbrush on a broom handle to be able to use them for his grip does not allow him otherwise!!!! So, I favor them if the person exhibts the need and inablities to do otherwise except for being lazy.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-15-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, we all ought to go back to hunting with a spear wearing a loincloth, LOL! Some of you people sound like PETA members, rather than hunters who are trying to keep our sport from becoming extinct. As was mentioned, whatever you are using it's just a tool!Oh, while you're at it you better just put one shell in that rifle and just use open sights because those scopes are way too big of an advantage!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yep, we all ought to go back to hunting with a spear wearing a loincloth, LOL! Some of you people sound like PETA members, rather than hunters who are trying to keep our sport from becoming extinct. As was mentioned, whatever you are using it's just a tool!Oh, while you're at it you better just put one shell in that rifle and just use open sights because those scopes are way too big of an advantage!
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals!!! I do hunt with a single shot weapon, bow, single shot pistol, and a muzzle loader. The only thing I don't/havent used is a spear and that is just because of my shoulder is jacked up. And I do agree, these weapons are just that, tools.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Quid Pro Quo.....You get the use of tracking dogs in Kansas and we get Sunday hunting in Virginia...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Spike

wow is all i can say.........lol
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

On behalf of my seat with the state and the Kansas Bowhunter's Association. I have voted no to all the proposed season changes and issues regarding the use of tracking dogs and Crossbows in the state.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

NYS has allowed the use of registered tracking dogs - leashed only - for years.
Literally 1000's of deer have been recovered thru their use.
I have never heard even a single report of abuse.
This is a 100% volunteer operation.

Foolish for it not to be allowed everywhere.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Some of you people are pitiful and probably should not be in the woods. I am getting old but still use my recurve or long bow. I draw about 40 # and only ever had one deer get away. It pulled the arrow out of the meaty section of her leg and I saw her numerous times later. I made a bad shot. Period. No excuse. Other than that I never had one go farther than about 60 yards. Bowhunters asked me what I thought about crossbows when the fight started in Pa. Heck, I thought it was funny. Compound hunters whining like little kids because a crossbow does not look like a bow? Maybe you should stand back and look at a compound. We needed them in Pa. during rifle season to clean out the deer around houses. It is a sure thing the compounds can't do it. I and my neighbors find enough dead deer with broken/bent (Except carbon) shafts.

On the side, how are you going to track these deer with dogs through neighborhoods? I have the back fenced in with 2 Labordoodles over 100 pounds a piece, and the guy down from me has some kind of St. Bernard -Husky mix. We see deer out back all the time and the dogs leave them alone, but I wouldn't give a nickle for a dog that wandered in there. None of my business, I don't live in Kansas, but I did at one time. Don't try to BS us.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 02-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
NYS has allowed the use of registered tracking dogs - leashed only - for years.
Literally 1000's of deer have been recovered thru their use.
I have never heard even a single report of abuse.
This is a 100% volunteer operation.

Foolish for it not to be allowed everywhere.
I grew up in NY.. and this has never been legal unless its recent..

Most of the landowners I knew had standing kill orders on dogs seen on their properties...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

It has been legal in Ny since 1986. Standing kill orders is still in effect for many parts of the country which I have mixed felling about but we are not talking about the use of dogs off leash but leashed tracking dogs for recovering wounded game. There are some real good reason to use a dog off leash but I think the bad outways it for me. Even though I can use the dog off leash here in Ga. I prefer to keep my dog on a 33' long leash.

Gun870guy, I respect your decisoin to vote the way you do. I do not know the rest of the issues/changes that were proposed for this year other than the use of tracking dogs. Here is the link to show you what states allow it and what their rules are for the use of tracking dogs. just click any state in green and if they have specific rules about the use of tracking dogs it will be there.
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/i...id=7&Itemid=10

To help me understand why people vote against it please explain your reasons for not allowing the use of tracking dogs.

GunPlummer Neighborhoods can be very tough to track around. You have to get permission to go onto each and every piece of property then as you said fences, dogs and such. Most of the guys I know that have had to track in areas like this end up jumping around in a neighborhood from property to property were they can get permission to to track. Meaning if they are at one house but can not get permission to go to the next or no one is home then they skip that yard and try to pick it up on the next yard they can get permission to be on. Very tough tracking that way but can be done if you have permssion. I am glad I only have run into this one time in 9 years of tracking for others. We were so lucky that we had 6 landowners home in the middle of the day during the week to get permission.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.