Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First of the Season!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 AM

Default First of the Season!!!!!!!

My fiance' s father got a crop damage permit this past week. Last night there were some does out in the field so I stalked them. It was actually pretty easy because this guy was mowing his lawn so it hid all of my noise. Got up to the edge of the field and had a doe come within about 60 yds so I raised my shotgun and fired. She high kicked and took off for the woods. I got out of there and called a buddy. Went back about an hour later and couldn' t find any blood. Finally a drop, then two. A total of about 7 drops in the field but enough to get a direction. Now I' m getting worried, I thought I had a better shot on her than that and there should be more blood. We went in to the woods about 20yds to the left of where we thought she went in and started zig zagging. I thought I saw her so I go over and it turns out to be a log (the eyes are tricky at night). I turn and she' s about 10yds away.

Perfect double lung shot, a little high. That' s why she went so far and didn' t leave much blood. Total travel distance was about 130-150 yds.

Now to see if I can take a few with the bow!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First of the Season!!!!!!!

Congrats! Do you find ticks, etc. on them when harvested this early?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:00 PM

mmmmmmmm, venison, tasty
Old 08-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats solax , i wish i could get a crop tag. I jsut cant wait ti get into a stand for that first hunt.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:26 PM

Congratations, I am also looking forward to spending some time in the woods.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:33 PM

Thanks guys!!!!

Ticks?????? It was horrible!!!! Can' t let em' hang this time of year and don' t have a walk in so I had to skin, quarter and get her in to the fridge. When I got done I found a ton of tiny, tiny ticks on me. Couldn' t seem to get them all off. Got some chiggers to, I think from looking in the woods. Man I am itching today.

Double Lung, careful what you wish for. I thought this was a dream come true but there are definite drawbacks to shooting a doe this time of year. I' ll leave it at that.

BTW-I' ve never killed more than one deer per season (always seem to take exactly one). I' m at my average and the season hasn' t even started.

Old 08-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Must be like Oklahoma, ticks galore!!!!!! and congrats on taking that doe, are the permits for either sex?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:10 PM

Treedog, permits are for does only, or as the license says " antleredless" . Button bucks count, guess they realize it' s hard to tell the difference. Anyway it works out nice because I can have the freezer full and a few does out of the way before the opener of bow on 15 Sept. I have my eye on a nice buck and can concentrate on only bucks once the season gets here........if it ever does.