Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have you had this problem with your game cam? >

Have you had this problem with your game cam?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you had this problem with your game cam?

Old 08-19-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Have you had this problem with your game cam?

My camera is having troubles as of late. I have it up on a food plot currently. I checked it Sunday afternoon & the screen was blank. This is not a digital, but a regular still shot camera. The lense was open, but where it usually tells me how many pictures have been taken, was blank. I shut the lense & opened it again & then it showed 2 pictures have been taken.

I know it is not taking pictures because it had 2 taken the previous Sunday. It could be that I need to replace the 9 volt battries for the sensor, but I am not sure. It is frustrating though, because I was excited about my bucks on the last role.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. The model is the infamous DEER CAM.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM

Default RE: Have you had this problem with your game cam?

I had a moultrie game cam II and it worked finr for a couple years then it would not have anything on the pic' s. blank flim.
Then i got a stealth cam and am having problems like you say from the first pic.
96 flims and only 6 pic' s.
I reset it Sat. and will see what happens.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:15 PM

make sure cam in not in direct sun light. they will do this same thing when the unit gets hot. place it in the shade
Old 08-20-2003, 05:51 PM

I have not had the problem that you describe. I too have a Deercam...got it this summer.

A problem that I have had is that the film got jammed in the camera when I hit the rewind button...it ground and crunched for a second and than quit. [:@]I am hoping that this was a film loading problem on my part...and not a perpetual problem with the camera. I guess I will find out next time I retreive film.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:04 PM

I took another roll today,and not one pic.all blanks.
They gave me another stealth cam.I put it out and read the book again,and again.
I will know in a few days if this one works.the man at the store said they had had some problems with that camera.

I am holding my breath to see if this one will work.[:-]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

This may be your problem... I' ve had the same kind of experience since the weather turned hot. The sensors on the cameras detect both motion and heat, meaning that the differences in temperature between an animal and the surrounding trees and brush trigger the camera. I think that in hot weather there may not be enough difference between the 98-99 degree body heat of an animal and the 98-99 degree leaves and brush. When I checked my camera last weekend I was able to get it to take a pic of me only after I' d walked right up to it and stood there for a few seconds..very slow response. The batteries were good. I think the heat just blinds it and the animals walk right by without triggering it.
Im interested in other theories, tho...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:10 AM

Default Heat .....

Thanks for the useful info. I bet ya' ll are correct about the heat. I am down here in the deep south & my deer cam is on a plot, so it is in the direct heat throughout the day. I bet the heat caused it to " go blank" on the indicator screen. I will move it to a shady spot this weekend. I wanted to check out a few trails anyhow.

Thanks again. Very good info to help out a deer hunter.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Heat .....

Try putting it so that it is looking down a trail rather than across it, I have the stealth cam, had the same trouble you had at first. Find a good funnel in the wood close to your plot and set up their. I have a ditch running though a bottom parralel to my plot and I cut brush all along it making a natural fence except in one spot where I opened a trail crossing the creek and straight up to my plot, took about 2 weeks for the deer to get used to it but now they use it every evening. Keep in mind the wind and stand placement if you try this good luck. Gabe