Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting? >

Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting?

My deer season has been plagued w/ cold feet, causing me to get down early due to numb/frozen toes. I hunt wet and muddy areas so LaGrange by Lacrosse have always been my preferred boot but it's time to do something different. Despite wearing very good quality socks my feet freeze. I've read good reports on Muck Boots but have seen comments suggesting a rubber thinsulate boot might be much better. Does anyone else wear rubber boots that can provide exceptional warmth when stand hunting in 20 to 30 degree temps? Keep in mind, for some, 30 degrees might not bother you but my feet totally freeze so need something that really works. pls advise.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muck Woodymax are a good choice.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have the same problem Tealboy. One of my friends introduced me to Thunderboltsocks and that was the best money I ever spent. I now ware them with a wool sock over top and have no problem lasting a stand length. They will run up to 6 hours of continue operation.

Best money ever spent, after back surgery my feet always got cold and the right was always the worst...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tealboy.
One thing that I learned hunting here in the upper mid-west. Where it can be in the minus side of the thermometer during deer season.
Don't move too fast while walking out to the deer stand. This creates sweat in the boot, and will cause your feet to get cold faster.
What I do now is walk slowly when going out to the stand, and I don't wear all of my clothes either, this too will increase body heat. Instead I carry the heaviest layers that I need to keep warm.
I also wear lighter socks to the stand and add the heavy wools before I get into the stand. I have also added a felt insole to my boots. This adds another layer of insulation to the bottom of my feet, and has increased my comfort level greatly.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

might i suggest a different concept?
yer body cuts off the extremities to help keep the core of yer body warm..starting with the hands and feet...therefore if ya get some better upperware, yer body will send the excess heat to yer feet.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I use LaCrosse Ice King boots. They are heavy, and have removeable thinsulate liners.

As it was already mentioned, with heavy boots, irregardless of the liner, you need to move to your stand slow enough that you don't sweat up your feet. You start with wet feet, well, your day will be cold and miserable.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at these;

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70645...639-ppxs&dds=y
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Spike

I have a set of Irish setter boots that I bought this year. I believe they are the 800 gram insulate. I really like these boots. They got a good test on waterproofness this weekend. Had to be careful several times where I stepped as to not have water coming over the top of the boots. No leaks!! I too suffer from cold feet when sitting in the stand. A good set of liner socks and a good set of wool socks and my feet are toasty in these boots. The guy that said you have to walk slow and take socks with you is speaking the truth. On a long walk in I wear a thin sock. once i get to my stand and get set up I change socks to some dry socks. This is not an easy task while in the stand but it does help alot. My feet will stay warm with this method. Cold feet is about the only thing that will make me get down early! I would suggest you try this before you spend the money on new boots unless your others are just worn out.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

good input, thank you. I think some of you touched on part of the problem, over dressing since i am riding a atv to the stand, then i tend to walk a long distance to reach climber and feet are prob getting sweaty. I also walk fast. Slowing down and less clothing but not sure changing socks, etc is practical from a climber. I still think the uninsulated lacrosse rubber boots don't help despite good socks
Old 01-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

The rubber boots with minimal/no insulation are meant for walking. Not sitting. I'm a stand hunter, and have both types of boots.

I use the rubber boots with minimal insulation for scouting in the later fall. Hiking shoes prior to that.

The LaCrosse Ice Kings are a heavy insulated boot that keep your feet warm. I walk over 2.5 miles back into public land where all motorized vehicles are banned. You just need to learn to pace yourself. That probably means leaving earlier so you have the time to go in at a slower pace.

My trek back to my stand at relaxed walk with hiking shoes/walking boots is about 45-50 minutes. With my stand boots and other gear, I take around 75 minutes. I go in early, go slow, and stay warm in the potentially cold Wisconsin gun season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.