Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting? >

Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Warm rubber boot for deer stand hunting?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Artic Muck boots work for me, I have to cross a creek or two to get to most of my stands. Only negative is briars will tear the neoprene tops, so I don't wear them for deer drives.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Spike

Aside from boots, there is always the option of a cheap little propane heater. Walmart has cans for 2/$5. They last around 3-5 hunts depending on how long you stay in the stand.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have Cabelas 2000 gram Thinsulate rubber boots. If that don't cut it, then I use the stick on toe/ foot warmers.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Spike

I baught a pair of neopren Muck boot s5 years ago for the late season (December) hunt... Stand hunting whitetails in -10* to 35* weather... LOVE THEM. Use thin silk socks and good heavy wool over those and cold toes are no longer a problem!!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I've learned some good things that I believe will help me, based on comments from folks posting to my thread (thank you) and some additional research.

1) i need to get better boots w/ insulation for fall/winter hunting vs. uninsulated rubber boots
2) keep the core warm as one poster said, as the body gets chilled at the core, heat is directed to the brain, heart, lungs and other critical areas at the expense of toes/fingers
3) good socks with wool or synthic properties
4) walk slower, dress lighter when going to stand to keep feet from sweating, at which point freezing feet are inevitable

Additional to my problems, I am over dressed while climbing with a climbing tree stand. By the time i'm at the top, i am sweaty, which means my feet are too.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
I've learned some good things that I believe will help me, based on comments from folks posting to my thread (thank you) and some additional research.

1) i need to get better boots w/ insulation for fall/winter hunting vs. uninsulated rubber boots
2) keep the core warm as one poster said, as the body gets chilled at the core, heat is directed to the brain, heart, lungs and other critical areas at the expense of toes/fingers
3) good socks with wool or synthic properties
4) walk slower, dress lighter when going to stand to keep feet from sweating, at which point freezing feet are inevitable

Additional to my problems, I am over dressed while climbing with a climbing tree stand. By the time i'm at the top, i am sweaty, which means my feet are too.
not wearing the heavy stuff til yer up there is good for yer mitochondria...then the extra clothing will be useful.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I love muck boots I think they are the warmest rubber boots
Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Muck "Chore" Boots keep me nice and warm.....as Uncle Nicky mentioned,I think the Muck "Artic" are more insulated and will be even better yet.I had the Redhead Boots that went higher up and they ended up splitting from bending over so much...the Muck Boots I got are lower and are easy to put on and take off.

As also mentioned if You sweat too much walking in to Your stand,then Your feet sweat Your going to get cold once You sit down and cool off....wear socks that breathe or do as other said and don't over-dress going to Your stand,put extra clothes in a back-pack then finish dressing there.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I as well suffer from cold feet. I just bought a pair of LaCrosse 2000 grm Thinsulate. I wear a thin hiking sock in and once I get in stand and begin to cool off a tad, I put on my wool over socks. I dress inlayers as well.
I also bought a set of Artic overboots and they slip over my boots for those long stand days in the minus temps. It depends if I am in a pop up blind or elevated stand depends on if I take my Mr. Heater with me. HUGE benefit!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Spike

I have a pair of the muckmasters, They work great for hunting and fishing. Get your boots a half size bigger then you normally wear. If they are too tight they will restrict the blood flow to your toes and they will get colder faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.