Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bedding Question

Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Bedding Question

Many times when I've gotten to my stand very early in our FL swamps...I can hear the drip drip sliding off the deer's hoofs..Then I hear a loud crash..Is this the deer falling to the ground to bed?? I hear this alot..

and sure enough sometimes about 8:00 AM I can give a bleat call and call the deer in?

Question..Is this the normal routine of a deer..to make alot of noise breaking of sticks before he settles down? Sometimes it's followed by a very quiet grunt.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds more like a hog than a deer to me!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive watched a lotta deer bed down and in my experience theres usually not much noise at all.Out in the sloughs where the cattails are thick they sometimes make a lotta noise walking in to bed but even thats rare.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have seen deer get stuck in the muck, both right legs if you will, and he fell over kickin like a fish outta water to get back to his feet. he was 300+ yards away though, i couldnt hear what it sounded like.
deer tend to be very quiet round here. hogs, as mentioned, are loud and dont give a crap about it.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds more like jumping deer to me.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....I know it's deer ..I was just wondering if they do the same thing in other parts of the US...

Here's the scenerio..I get to my tree about 5:20 AM..climb quietly..pull my rifle up and sit and listen..All of a sudden I hear faint walking...and the drip drop sound of water running very slowly off thier hoofs..Then I here a slight stirring and plop.That plop sound what surprizes me..

So at 8"00 I give the ole stand by..The Can call by primos..now I hear a little faint noise where the plop was and in 15 minutes I have a buck show up.This has happened a few times..

Sorry to say but something else that happens...did this about 4 weeks ago..I hear the drip drop sound..WInd is in my favor and when the drip drop is about 50 yds from me I hear a snort,,,and hoofs splashing the water and then the sound of a big buck crashing through the thicket..now that's a bad sound.LOL
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

In my 50+ years of hunting deer, I have watched hundreds bed down. I have never heard one make much if any noise and certainly no crashing and grunting.

Lotta gators where you hunt?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

no gators in this area...