Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does with fawns

Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does with fawns

I'm curious about how many of you, if you're looking to take a doe for meat, will shoot one if she's with this years fawns? I don't do it anymore since a few years back when I took one that had fawns with her and they stood by her while she was dead on the ground and did not want to leave. They moved off about 50 yds away when I approached her and stood there while I proceded to gut her out. It kind of made me feel like crap so I haven't shot a doe with fawns ever since. Any one else ever have the same experience?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two years ago I stalked and worked very hard to get into position to shoot a doe with two fawns on her. After about an hour of stalking, I finally got my shot at less than 20 yards away, and the gun misfired due to a light primer strike. My hard work vanished before my eyes at the click of my gun. I was pissed. But a few days later, I decided it was providence. I have decided that if a doe is doing well enough to produce twins, I will let her go and instead shoot one or both of the fawns. They make an even better meal.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Spike

All the time. I hardly ever see a doe without a fawn or two.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Research has shown (don't have the cite handy) that by that point, the fawns are capable of being on their own, and furthermore, those that are removed from their mother have a higher survival rate that the "titty baby" ones that won't leave. Although I do admit, it does make you feel bad when you shoot the mother and the fawn just kind of stands there looking at you. I shot a doe a year or two ago that had a fawn hidden into the thicket that didn't come out until I shot the doe.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are definitely more than capable of making it on their own (which is why you see so many button bucks doing just fine), but that's not why I'll opt not to shoot a doe with twins. I feel like I don't see enough deer as it is, though I will take a nice doe if the chance presents itself. But if she's got twins, chances are she's already knocked up with a couple more. And if I take one or both of the ones at her side, well, perhaps that's a lesson learned for her and she'll be a little more wary the next season and all three will make it through!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I'll make em orphins whilst there hangin off a tit...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by omegasmoke
I'm curious about how many of you, if you're looking to take a doe for meat, will shoot one if she's with this years fawns? I don't do it anymore since a few years back when I took one that had fawns with her and they stood by her while she was dead on the ground and did not want to leave. They moved off about 50 yds away when I approached her and stood there while I proceded to gut her out. It kind of made me feel like crap so I haven't shot a doe with fawns ever since. Any one else ever have the same experience?

I had the same experience two years ago,only the fawns tried nursing on the dead doe. they would leave a little ways away and then they hung around til they saw me. then they were gone. I really hated the whole episode and swore off ever shooting a doe with fawns. Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

For me, it all depends on the age of the fawn(s). As a general rule, our fawns are perfectly capable of feeding and surviving when the season opens. In that case, I may kill the doe. However, if it is a small, young fawn, I don't even consider it. I have enough deer in my area, I can be picky. By late season, I'll often wait for the doe fawn. That both helps the biology of the herd and provides some serious eating. Once a fawn is six to eight months old, it can outrun or avoid most predators. However, that does not mean it will survive a year.

If you think about it, a doe fawn is the most expensive deer in your herd. It will be nearly two years before she sufficiently earns what she eats.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try not too. Depends what part of the country. When I lived in WI I didn't just because the fawns need their moms if theirs a harsh winter to help them survivie. I'm stationed in SC right now and I have taken Big does.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me there is a difference between fawns and yearlings. I will shoot a doe with yearlings but not with fawns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.