Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does with fawns

Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

I do it but am not sure about it. The fawns will breed whether they want to or not. This past week end I finally saw a "Second Rut". There were some big bucks hanging on some tiny does. Back when there were a lot of deer here it was common to see doe groups of 7-15 deer. The groups were always headed by a smart lead doe. I avoided shooting the lead doe. I think that the fawns need the older doe to learn the ropes. I see deer around my place stand and wait for cars to pass to cross the road. The younger stuff just wants to run across willy nilly but the lead doe keeps them in the back.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've let several sets walk by, I've also shot a few too. If the young ones look old enough to do well on their own, I'll take the first one that gives me a shot opportunity. I've also shot them when I'm meat hunting, when it's time to fill the freezer if it's legal it's gonna get it.
-Jake
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

If there are fawns young enough to need a doe during the Wisconsin gun season that says a lot about the population.

If I need meat, the doe with the young fawns is equally likely to die as one with fawns born early enough to live on their own during the gun deer season.

I've never seen this as a problem where I gun hunt. However, with a massive readily available food source, and overpopulation where I grew up I saw extremely young fawns all the time. Still do around the city limits of Eau Claire as well.

When the deer are like rabbits in a high population year, you have to be merciless at times in order to enjoy what you like. If you are not, then you are becoming more like the bleeding heart liberals who want to end hunting.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Few years back I had my sister in law with me and she shot a big doe.She was new to hunting and when the pair of twins stepped out of the weeds behind the doe she had shot I knew it was gonna be hard on her.To make matters worse the doe wasnt dead yet and tried to get up and run.It hit a patch of ice and slipped and couldnt get back up.

Wound up with the doe trying to get up and bleating, the fawns bawling, and a very inexperienced hunter on the verge of tears trying to reload a muzzleloader.It was a pretty bad scene as the fawns wouldnt go away even when we walked up to the deer.I finally handed her my gun and took hers and she put the doe down, fawns stood there bawling the entire time we were field dressing the mom.It was hard to watch even for a experienced hunter like myself.

I will shoot a doe with fawns when I am alone still, theres really no evidence to indicate it will hurt the fawns survival rate at that time of year and I dont hunt on "feelings".If I am taking a new hunter or (ladies dont take this wrong} female hunting and the chance to shoot a doe with fawns comes up I will probably recomend they pass on it, while it doesnt bother me much after the fact I can see where it could ruin the entire experience for some.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

petasux - So does she still hunt?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

after taking a shot a doe and i see fawn sticking around.....i know i got her....
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
petasux - So does she still hunt?
You know she did the following year but she didnt kill anything, and i dont think she has for the last 2 years at all.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Living up north, I would take the fawn, assuming it was grown and not spotted. In a harsh winter situation, the fawn will be the one to die from starvation being shorter than adult deer. Also, larger deer will bully the fawn.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

the coyotes will eat the inexperienced fawn.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Spike

Used to do it, but the older I get the more sentimental I get I guess. I don't stop my boys from doing it because it is so hard for a kid to get a shot opportunity (esp. my youngest) and I know the research backs up the fact that the little ones still have a great chance of surving. Personal choice I guess. Go with your heart...