Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you keep all your antlers?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do you keep all your antlers?

A couple years ago I was picking meat up at the butchers and on his hide trailer there was an 8pt. I asked the guy if the hunter wanted them and was told no. So I cut them off for a little set of rattleing horns.

So here is my question... Do you guys keep all the antler sets you get from deer you have shot?

I do, from spikes on up. They keep that day alive for me and for every set I can tell you exactly what happened. I know some guys are there just for the meat and I get that but that was a decent little 8pt..
Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always. I guess it kinda seems wrong to me to throw them. i understand there are poeple who really don't care and thats there choice, but I keep them and they have a nice place on my wall.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Antlers amuse me no matter how big they are. Idk why but that's the way I am. Even if ever find a spike shed Ill keep it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Same here. Keep every set. When I was a kid my dad took me to a guys house that he worked with. This guy and his wife and kids all hunted and between the four of them acquired an impressive amount of antlers from spikes all the way up to some real wall hangers. He had the main room in his basement completely lined with deer antlers that he and his family have killed. It made quite an impession on me.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not really.....

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
A couple years ago I was picking meat up at the butchers and on his hide trailer there was an 8pt. I asked the guy if the hunter wanted them and was told no. So I cut them off for a little set of rattleing horns.

So here is my question... Do you guys keep all the antler sets you get from deer you have shot?

I do, from spikes on up. They keep that day alive for me and for every set I can tell you exactly what happened. I know some guys are there just for the meat and I get that but that was a decent little 8pt..
Kept my first buck, an 8 inch spike. Did the european thing, hung the entire skull in a tree for 2 years, it now hangs in my shop. I ve kept two 120's (127" 8, 122" 9) for rattlers. My nephew got my 142" 10 point. As for the rest, people ask for them and I give them away, I don't need them. I've shot 17 bucks.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

well I would regardless of size, but then again I don't shoot dinks. I think all of my antlers I've ever shot are mounted on the wall... on shoulder mounts...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have only shot two, a spike and an 8pt. I have both of them and don't imagine I would ever not want them for something. Always something you could do with them. Make knives, etc...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have kept all of mine over the years. Most of the better ones are on the wall, others I keep boxed up. Some I have used to make knick-knacks with.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have a friend that makes antler items such as pens and lamps etc. I give him anything I am not going to use in some way myself. I cleaned out a pile in the garage last year and had room for my riding mower and a happier wife.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've kept mine. Fortunately most of them can fit in a shoebox I've started making buttons and toggle closures out of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.