Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Minimum gear for successful hunt >

Minimum gear for successful hunt

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Minimum gear for successful hunt

Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Gun, knife, bullets and tag are all you really "need". Suprised at how many people have left out knife. You're gonna need a knife if you actually plan on killing a deer.

Everything else you bring really depends on how and where you plan on hunting. If the area you hunt is a little patch of woods off the road to a 1/2 mile in you really don't need much else.

Its when you start trekking anywhere from 3 to however many miles back into no-mans land that gear can really become important. Especially if your hunting in colder climates. Then your talking good boots, wool socks, wool under garments, a good pack, binos, TP, water purification tablets, etc. etc. I'll stop there cause I doubt your gonna start out getting this crazy. The point I'm trying to make is you can spend as much or as little as you want. Thats one of the beauties of outdoor sports such as hunting and fishing.

You don't "need" all the fancy scentblock suits heck you really don't need any scent control whatsoever. The best defense against a deers nose is playing the wind. When I first started bowhunting I was big into the whole scent control... dare I say "gimmicks". Washing clothes in special soaps, rubber boots, the spray you name it I was doing it...and the deer would still scent me. You can't fool a deers nose. The wind IMO is THE only defense.

The best advice I can give anyone getting into hunting or fishing is go with someone that has been there done that. From there you can make up your own mind what will work for you and what won't. Its always different for everyone.