Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Minimum gear for successful hunt >

Minimum gear for successful hunt

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Minimum gear for successful hunt

Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Spike

Default Minimum gear for successful hunt

Looking for some newbie advice. I just bought my first rifle, and would like to start hunting whitetails. I have a wall at home that's just begging for a big buck to be mounted.
Ill take the hunter safety course this summer and want to get to it as soon as rifle season opens next year. I have two places I plan to hunt. Family land in VA a couple hours away from me, and a small public hunting area right near my house in NC.

I was wondering what equipment I needed at minimum for a successful hunt. Should I save up for a tree stand, or can that wait until Ive decided if this hunting thing is really for me? Can you hunt whitetails successfully from a ground blind? Can anyone point me to some good info on this?

Im looking forward to a and some venison in the future...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Minimum:

Well you have the rifle, so you are about there! Next: bullets, hunter orange (especially if your state requires it). Get your license.

Now go sit in the woods.

Other stuff just makes you more comfortable and may raise your odds, but the gun, bullets and license is all you really need.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect advice above. Gun, bullets, & tag. Everything else just makes your experience more enjoyable and tolerable. Some of the extras will provide the ability to spend more time on stand.

I suspect you are looking for more ideas than the obvious three. Here are some more;
knife, binos, drink, attractant, scent eliminator, wind indicator, tp or napkins, food, extra pair gloves, calls, hat, saw for limbs, pull up rope, marking tape for tracking, radio or cell phone, compass.

I do recommend a tree stand. I spent may years on the ground and scared more deer. Once I got elevated, my success went up dramatically. If you get into a tree use a harness and consider purchasing a hook or hooks for hanging stuff.

Last edited by rogerstv; 12-27-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add word
Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Basics covered make sure the county you hunt in va allows rifle. My county doesn't.

Other than that the rest like mention make it easier sometimes. Biggest buck I ever shot was on the ground with a hawkens black powder rifle with just camo and a grunt call. Alot ofhunting is being at the right place at the right time.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice, so far. It sounds simple enough. All the hunting publications Ive read, and people Ive talked to make it sound overcomplicated.

How important is good camo vs good scent management? From what I understand deer have a very good sense of smell, but bad eyesight.

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Basics covered make sure the county you hunt in va allows rifle. My county doesn't.
Patrick County has a rifle season. I think its roughly the month of Dec, give or take.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

You don't need camo at all, just good warm clothes that are lightweight and quiet, and most of the time, they happen to be in camo. If your gonnna be walking a good pair of boots is a must, handwarmers or good gloves that you shoot in, if your hunting that late in the year. Daypack to carry extra layers.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Buy a pair of GOOD RUBBER BOOTS that are at least 16in tall and warm But don't skimp on a good pair of rubber boot. You can't sit if you have cold feet. Rubber helps eliminate scent and you will encounter water from time to time to just be prepared. Good luck
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

**** paper, LOL!!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Spike

Is there anything else that I can hunt between now and deer season with the same minimal setup? I have a .308 bolt action, and wouldn't mind picking up a few calls if I had to.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Ok be sure to take a KNIFE with you. Look for a good one with some heft so that after you take your deer you can field dress it. Also on the off season learn all you can about deer habitat and life style. What it needs, what it likes, where it might be. And while doing that research how to properly field dress the deer so as to not ruin any of the meat.

Also memorize any and all laws for the state and county you are hunting for that year. They do change.

Good luck and hope you have a successful hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.