Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sons first gun

Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50
Default Sons first gun

Well I bought my son his first real gun today. Santa is going to leave it under the tree. Its a cool little thing. Its a Rossi 22 with and interchangeable barrel to make it a 20 gauge. TO COOL. I am so excited he has been asking since he was 4. He turns 8 on Christmas eve. I know some of you will say he is way to young but he is a responsible 8 year old and will only be using it in the presence of Daddy or Grandpa. I feel like a little kid again. I dont know if I can wait Im so excited.
jwsfitter is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesX.308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Audubon & Red Rock, Penna.
Posts: 4,472
Default

Its a Rossi 22 with and interchangeable barrel to make it a 20 gauge
I bought my son the same exact gun when he was 8. One thing to be aware of: the gun weighs about 1 pound and 3" turkey loads kick about as much as my 300 Wby Mag - no kidding, it really does!!!!

Start him off practicing with the 22 barrel. Then get 2 3/4" dove loads. I even got a slip-on recoil pad for it because it just had a hard, plastic butt plate.

It's a great little gun that will serve him well for years. I love ours.
BarnesX.308 is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  #3  
Fork Horn
 
gator59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Default

TOO Young no way. 8 years old is a perfect age for 90% of the kids. The other 10% should probably wait another 80 years.

May he enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my Ithaca 22 single shot saddle gun when I was 8.
gator59 is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
mission17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 130
Default

got my boy an 870 youth model 20 ga...he is 10...im stoked too...know where you are coming from!
mission17 is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
  #5  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 182
Default

My son is 9. He got a BB gun on his 9th birthday. And is pretty good with that. But I wouldn't trust him with a gun yet. My Father in Law and I are thinking about taking him out Christmas week to shoot a .22 And he was very interested in the deer I shot the other day. I may take him along on a hunt.

But, I'm waiting till he's at least 10 to get him his own gun.

I was looking at those Rossi's though. Sure are sweet.
countertop is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM
  #6  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North east Arkansas
Posts: 13
Default

I got my 7 year old the same rifle with in .243/20ga. He can shot the 10 ring every time with the .243. He got a nice spike with it this year! About a 30 yard broadside double lung shot! I am vary proud of him. When we where practicing he was not satisfied until he could hit the bulls eye every time just like dad!

Last edited by steve72444; 12-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.
steve72444 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.