Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Had a scare today!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Praise Jesus indeed!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Spike

God is good!! Glad all is well
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you were there for you dad and that everything seems to be okay so far! I would like to hear more about the tree stand failure. What kind of stand was it, and did the stand fail or did your dad forget to do something before he began his climb?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Spike

my uncle broke his back doing that in a climber.he didnt ,ake sure clip closed all the way,n when he stood up to shoot down he went 15ft knocked him out n all.he had to crawl out the woods.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Nato, It was an Ol' man treestand. Me and him both love these stand, we each have two ol man climbers. all but one are older models though. When he got up there that morning the top portion of the stand was rele unlevel so he fixed it while he was up there. Best we can tell when he put the pin back in to secure the cable around the tree he did not get the pin set correctly and as he was coming down the tree the pin slowly worked its way up till it came out. Its not the smartest thing in the world to do to try and do any adjustments to ur stand once your up the tree but im sure we have all done it and after hunting from a climber for more than 25 yrs i guess he just felt like it wasnt a big deal.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

the newer model of ol' mans actually use a screw as a pin to secure your cable with a wing nut to put on the bottom of the screw once it is through the arm hole. Appearently this was not the first time that has occurred with that brand. We will still be useing the Ol' mans we have because i rele do love em but we will be buying the newer style pins for all of ours needless to say