Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Would you pick inside woods or 30yard clear cut gas line? >

Would you pick inside woods or 30yard clear cut gas line?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you pick inside woods or 30yard clear cut gas line?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Spike

Default Would you pick inside woods or 30yard clear cut gas line?

Hunt brushy cover or 30ysrd cut gasline?
My land I hunt is brushy. Water source is about 75yards below property line. Brushy with some open pines. Gasline about 30yards wide that cuts the whole property in length.

On a time like now do you go deeper in or hunt the edge? Haven't seen anything last few times and I've hunted both areas.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stick to the brushy spots. Deer will hang in there. In my experience, typically they won't stick their noses out in the open unless they feel safe, which is usually at or after dark. And, if they do venture into the open, they'll sprint across quickly, usually through a low spot or swale that hides them somewhat as they cross.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

The point is if you hunt in the brush you might not see them. I've seen lot's of deer on gas line or railroad track (tracks or not) clearcuts through thick woods. If there is a freshly wooded area they seem to like that also (tree tops are tasty). There are no clearcuts on the land we hunt other then the marshes surrounding it (hilly oak woods) so we sit in blinds in the more open areas of the woods.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'd hang a stand on a tree right on the edge of the gas line that affords you a clear view down the line as well as a shot into some of the bushy area.

Get up high enough so you can see down on top of the bushy area, but also get the clear shot.

Get there early - in the stand by say 3:30 pm and wait till dusk (4:44 here the other day - bring a book, or better yet, a Kindle - less movement). You won't see the deer till sundown. Probably get your shot in the last 15 minutes of shooting light, 5:00 pm or so.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this cut has lots of obvious deer crossings
and signs of big monstrous bucks crossing. Hunt the cut..
If not, go deep.. Sink for pink..
If nothing anywhere, find another spot..
Cause there are greener pastures else where..

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-11-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant something on the gas line. I hunt in SC right now. And winter wheat is coming up real good right now.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

as stated before... get on the edge of the gas line and where u can see down it and into the thicker stuff a little... also like was said, find where the line runs through a bottome of some sort. thats gunna be where most of your movement is across it for the most part.... what types of food source are in the area.. thats the biggest issue of all
Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Spike

That's the hard part. Finding a single food source. I have brushy browse for days and a green winter rye grass I believe accross the street.

Last edited by blgoode; 12-13-2011 at 03:56 AM.