Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Wardens above the law?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't read all the posts so this may have been posted.
1- I am not positive but I don't believe LEO's are required to wear blaze orange by law unless they are hunting. Makes good sense to but not a law just as it would not be for anyone who is not hunting. All I can see he might be guilty of is stupidity.
2- If you fear reprisal, I believe you are mistaken. I can give you a name and number to call if you want to take this in through the back door and avoid any mention of your name. However, unless I am badly mistaken, there is nothing to report in regard to an officer being above the law. Think about it. Would the dog owner have been breaking any law? Was the officer hunting? I have hunted in IL quite abit and worked there for a few years. I don't recall any law requiring anyone that is not hunting to wear blaze orange.

Sorry if this has been posted.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
How many times don't you mind it? Once a year, once a month, everytime you enter and leave the woods? How many times don't you mind? You mind or will if everytime you travel your stopped and questioned about your activities. It will get there with your way of thinking and it will only be to keep the bad guys back until you become the bad guy because your X.

The good guys see the bad guys doing something wrong and stop them. The goods guys don't stop just anybody to see if they are doing something wrong. The goods guys should know how important that basic constitutional requirement is.
I agree too much of something can be bad but in the case of a game warden I like to think they are earning their pay. I don't get checked much when hunting for some reason but it is open season while out on the lake. I ice fish almost every day in winter and am on the water much of the summer since I have a lakeshore house. I regularly see wardens either in boats or on snow machines or 4 wheelers during ice season out checking licenses. Often times they go right past me since they see me out all the time and get to recognize that I had been checked. If they hit me a couple of times a month I usually make a joke out of it. The head warden knows me by name now and we always have a laugh. They are just doing their job and if they weren't present it would be like the wild west. Being out there almost every day...I see things that being done illegally. 95% of the guys are good law abiding sportsmen but there is always a bad seed in any group of people. Those people are stealing from me and all the guys I hunt and fish with. We take a dim view of illegal behavior therefore don't mind seeing the fish cops show up.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-18-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to agree with most here that being checked by a Warden is part of their job as is mine to do what I do. I/we get checked on a regular basis on our way off the lake or river while waterfowl hunting or sometimes on my way out of the field from deer hunting, usually bowhunting.
I welcome them to check me then for I know they are doing their part as well as their job. We have had them check us while afield waterfowl hunting both land and water. It just seemed some go above and beyond and that is what I think I was getting at when I originally posted this and in no way shape or form did I expect it to get this big. I agree that I was ignorant in some of the ways of the lands I traverse.
But as stated earlier, I met up with the gentleman and introduced myself and told him why I was there. We got to know each other and parted ways on a good note with the understanding that we are there in the same fields for future interaction possibly in a joint task operation.