Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Test of character

Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Test of character

Yesterdayiwasouthunting,sitting on a corner of a property where I see deer all the time. As I was sitting there,I noticed a very large 5x5 about 200 yards away. Only problem is, it was on the wrong side of the fence on property I don't have permission on. I have seen this buck twice now and it seems like he doesn't move far.

I watched him for probably 45 mins and he just would't move. I grunted, rattled, everything and he wouldn't come in. I even had a few does he was with come within 15 yards of me, and he wouldn't follow them. I could have easily poked him at that range as my muzzleloader is sighted in for 200 and I ranged him at 209. I sat there and watched him through my scope until it got too dark to see.

This was definitely a test of character watching a trophy like that, but having the integrity to hunt him by the rules. Just makes me want to go back out west where you have thousands of acres to hunt and not worry about fences, as opposed to 160 acres with fences all around. Oh well. Going out again tonight to see if he wonders over.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the first sentence. Typing on the iPad is difficult sometimes.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Spike

You are definitely doing the right thing by not shooting at game that is on property you don't have permission to be on. You are a good representative of the hunting community. The hunting community needs more guys and girls to do their part. The other part that makes a good hunter is "patience". Although it's going to be tough, it looks like you are going to have to wait this one out and hope that buck comes into the territory you have permission to hunt. It does suck sometimes. But practicing proper firearm safety and good hunting ethics makes us all better hunters. It also gives more hunters better opportunities to get permission to hunt properties too.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I went out again tonight. All i saw was a single doe. I will keep on this guy, and if i don't end up getting him, that just means he's survived and hopefully will continue to survive until next hunting season.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Update

UPDATE: went out again for this buck this morning. I have seen him four different times now and he had always been on the wrong side of the fence. Well today he made the mistake and crossed over, giving me a 75 yard broadside shot. The CVA muzzleloader did the trick and took out both lungs.

He's not the biggest deer I've shot, but I'm very proud of him since I passed on him so many times to do the right thing. Here are some links to pictures. I'm working from my iPad and it doesnt let me upload images to host sights so if anyone can get the pictures to post that would be great.

Thanks guys.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6384816&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=3&permPage=1

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...05626890_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...33187618_n.jpg
Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Spike

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I'm glad that your patience paid off and you got em'... Good job and Nice buck!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, definately one of the more rewarding deer ive taken.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

I applaud your hunting ethics. I have had deer just across the property line that I could have tackled, but I let them walk as I did not have permission to hunt that property. I am glad to hear that you got the buck the ethical way.

It is late for rattling, so I am not surprised he did not come your direction. He was not an inexperienced buck. Here is a call you may want to try. I suspect that many do not use this call the best way and end up doing the alarm bleat instead.
http://www.woodsnwater.tv/video.cfm?video=194
Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I wasn't surprised he didn't respond but watching him so long, I was getting anxious. I actually was hoping I might get the attention of some of the other deer he was with and he would follow.

Yesterday morning there was a smaller 3x3 that was hanging around. I was actually getting tired of watching him. I look over at the 3x3 again, and realize the 5x5 had suck in and was on the move. It's a pretty wooded area so I only had three shooting lanes on the trail he was on. I passed on the firt two, and mouth called him to a stop on the third. His head was behind a tree but his Neck and rest of body was visible. When the smoke cleared he was gone, but it was easy tracking as it looked like someone had a can of red paint splashing around down there. Ran about 60 yards and collapsed.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

WAY TO GO.

I had the same issue on a lease I was on. I never got the shot. But I didnt even consider shooting him across the fence. Some things in life are non negotiable and I was taiught that a mans word is on the top of the list.

Congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.