Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sweet redemption

Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Default Sweet redemption

Ok first off i'm by no means a big buck hunter. i've got a couple descent ones over the years but few and far between. This yr i was fortunate enough to hunt a peice of prop that i've never hunted for gun season, been on it for a while with bow but never gun so i'm fired up! opening morn, Nov. 15 i'm in an elevated blind with 40+ prime acres to watch over. By good light i've got deer on both sides of me and i know its gonna happen! about the 3rd time i look to my right there he is! the biggest buck i've ever had a shot at! I get on him and between being on my wrong side and the excitement i just cant get good on him. I want to wait and see what he does but he starts to work away from me, gets broadside and i descide its now or never. I let one fly and he does a 360 and i think i hit him so as he runs away i give him another and he goes down into a low spot in the feild and i loose site and then nothing.... He's down i think!! Then there he is running again, i get the scope back on him.......he now has only one freakin antler!!! Oh my god!!! One of the best bucks i've ever seen and i just ruined him!!! MAN did i feel like crap!! Feeling about as low as i could, a few moments pass and i hear 2 shots... its the land owner that gave me pemission to sit here, and he only shoots big bucks, and he just dumped this one thinkin its a trophy, but i just destroyed it!!! Now i feel really bad!!! This is a nightmare!!!! The morning ends and i go see him and explain why his trophy is not what he hoped for. Luckily for me he is a Great guy and wasn't too bothered by it.
Between that one and a few others that i know got killed really close to there the first day i knew the chances of anything else shootable in that spot comin around was slim too none!\
The next few days went by and just as i expected, lots of deer but no big ones. I'd see a hot doe and the only thing chasing her would be a spiker. So i hunt for a while just out of duty mainly!, i mean, its deer season, ya gotta go no matter what! right?
So Thanksgiving day comes and goes and i drag my butt out the morn after to the same spot for the same dissapointment, and am met by warm temps and high winds, nothin happenin today! A deer at a glance waaay off and thats it till 8 o'clock. I'm ready to head in when i spot one trotten right down the fence line lookin a little diff than the ones i've been seein. Put the binos on it and its a shooter! Few seconds later and a couple bleats and ive got a dandy on the ground!!! Not the biggest rack but the biggest bodied deer i've ever shot. What a turn around from an other what awful season! I suck!!1 But persistance pays off i guess! here he is

hing else coming from that spot were slim to none.

Last edited by j76; 11-27-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Great story and a great deer. How much did that big boy weigh?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
Great story and a great deer. How much did that big boy weigh?

Wish i knew!!! Def gettin a scale befor next yr!