Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
first deer of the year, not too good >

first deer of the year, not too good

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first deer of the year, not too good

Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default first deer of the year, not too good

good/bad news. Last minute or two of shooting time I hear deer comming cross the beans. Doe runs by with a buck hot on her heels. Looks like a pretty big deer though not huge. Looks like a ok rack at least a 6. This all takes a split second in the near dark. Gun up, I say Baaa twice and he stops, BAM! goes the black powder. Long story short, great shot but it was a 125# spike! No [email protected]#$% way. Little bucks are not as safe as I thought around here. Doe came back and I wish I had taken her too no but I let that one go thinking I had a bigger deer to deal with than I did. I've let this same spike go at least 3 times durring bow season and would have let him go again.

We try to let anything go less than 6 points so this is not a deer that I would have shot. I really thought he was a 6 in the low light and fast moving action.

Oh well, meat in the freezer.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Tough luck man... it happens
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well, he'll eat better than a gnarly old mature buck, at least. I think anyone who has hunted a bunch has been through it whether it be 'ground shrink', impatience, or mistaken identity.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Horacio...I'm thinking "all of the above" is the onlyway I can plead. :-)