Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's Happening Yall?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default What's Happening Yall?

I'm not dropping in after a about 10 months just to post a kill shot like a jerk, just popping in to say hi.

Fact is, I've only gotten to get out into the woods twice thus far and life has been a mess for the last 7 months or so with unemployment giving way to under employment and all sorts of financial doom and gloom I'd rather not bore anyone to tears with.

On the upside, my new job is with a retailer I'm sure many of us frequent for hunting gear and whatnot and indeed, I work in the hunting and fishing department so at least its something I know and enjoy. On the downside, with my wife working and the kids in school, I don't have much time to get out and hunt and my feet hurt from being on them all day.

I have been running my trail cam and seeing alot of deer near my stand as well as a ton of hogs. I had Wednesday off so I made my way out to the ranch in hopes of collecting a smallish pig to jam in the freezer to no avail but what I DID see was pretty awesome.

And in an impressive show of self restraint, I let a brute walk, saving him for either my wife or 9 year old daughter.

As you may recall (probably not but heh, oh well) I did this last season: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whit...6-victory.html

Well, his 'son' has a bigger rack (no drops though). Oof. I got some lousey video after composing myself and digging the camera out of my bag. He came up a trail right by my blind and I spooked him with the camera's start up sound. (need to find the silent mode, heh). I got a few minutes of footage before he started bird dogging a doe.

With any luck, he'll show back up Tuesday when my wife and I both have off of work. It will be her first deer so we are both excited. I had hoped my daughter would be ready this year but she can't quite get her arm around the stock of the .243 yet and she's not going to shoot until she can do it on her own. (looking real hard at a youth sized .223 we have at work for her and her sister)

Anyhow, I'm intent on hanging out here more now that things have stabilized and though I don't have a ton of chances to hunt with my schedule, I'll slip off to the ranch when I can.

Work will slack off after hunting season/Christmas and I can get after some hog....God knows we have a ton of them out there.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi and see what was going on. I miss hunting and being able to shoot the breeze about it. Good luck on all your hunting adventures!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

By no means am I an oldtimer here but I do recall enjoying your posts and, believe it or not, had wondered at not seeing anything new from you.

Glad you did stop to say hi & some hog hunt tales and pics would be appreciated!

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see You dropped in to keep us updated on how things are going...I wouldn't hold it against You if You posted some nice Eye-Candy Pic's of a Hog or a Big Ol Buck,times have been pretty hectic for all of Us and You can't live here all the time,I've been gone for a while during Rifle Deer Season so after tagging out I'm back on to relax and see how good everyone else has been doing?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I'm spoiled and used to being able to get out and hunt most every weekend and a few odd weekdays in a given season so this is a new experience. I am regretting all the times I blew it off or slept in, taking the opportunities for granted.

Hunting is always a "next year..." proposition for me and I need to quit that stuff. I got extremely lucky last year and had a dream buck fall into my lap but I could certainly have prepared harder and scouted more.

And to be sure, popping the old geezer was the best move for the deer population but a 7 1/2 yo buck is not quite the tastiest/tender meat you can bring home. We butchered him our selves and pull out a chunk to grind now and then to make chili. Not really suitable for much else but mixed with half beef, it makes some pretty decent grub.

Ok, so I am a sorry cameraman with my wife's video camera and I didn't get it out of the bag and turned on until he was down range a ways but here's 'Son of Ol Droptine'

Last edited by Horacio; 11-20-2011 at 08:11 AM.