Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neck shot? or heart/lung?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default neck shot? or heart/lung?

what is your prefered shot placement for a quick knock down?
with a 30-30?
and a 30-06?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Not much for neck shots more on the order of head shots. But it depends on conditions, if it is 30 yards away and I have a good rest I am going to shoot it in the head. If it is 150 with a decent rest I am going to aim for the heart/lungs. Like I said it all depends on the conditions but most of the time I shoot them in the lungs/heart just because I do not feel solid enough to go for the head shot or the deer was not standing still long enough to offer a good head shot opportunity.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Uhoh.... Here comes the head shot debate thread!

I've taken head shots before, since Westtex mentioned it. If they're close, calm, I have a good rest, and they aren't moving around, that shot will drop them. I wouldn't risk it if I wasn't sure though. I've seen deer that have been badly hit in the head, it isn't pretty.
I'm a fan of neck shots. I've never had a deer take a step when I've shot it in the neck. Again though, this has always been on closer shots for me. I'm thinking my farthest neck shot was 65 yards or do.
If I'm not on a rest, the deer is moving, or other variables are involved, the chest is where it's at. Bigger kill zone, easier target, more room for "error". Hit here, a deer is going to die. It may run, but you should have solid blood to follow.
So, it's situational. My "favorite" would be the neck though.
-Jake
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, it makes no sense to NOT take a high percentage shot (heart / lungs). We owe it to the animals to make a quick clean kill. I always shoot for the vitals...10yds away, or 200yds. Low percentage shots (head, neck, and others) have a higher probability for something to go wrong.

I know...some folks always shoot em in the neck or head and have no issues....blah blah. I've seen a couple deer running around with jaws blown off over the years. That is a brutal death they have to suffer from a headshot gone bad. Not saying folks don't make bad shots going for the vitals, it happens. Just that more likely you will get the deer on that situation than a head or neck shot gone bad.

Take high percentage shots, we'll all be better off for it.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neck or high shoulder shots will drop them in their tracks...With heart or center lung tracks they run a few yards...

With neck shots, go low, close to where the neck joins the body...

Never had a deer run with a neck shot, have taken at least 50 deer that way...I also shoot squirrels in the head and use my deer rifle for crows, groundhogs, coyotes, etc...I know what it can do and I know what I can do...Those that can't shoot well or don't have confidence in what they can do need to stick to a larger target area...
Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot for the heart/lungs with my .30-06 and have never had a deer run out of sight when hit there with it. The one deer that got out of sight was one I shot in the front/near shoulder that was quartering toward me. He went about 75 yards. A .30-06 through the boiler room will finish them quick.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time I take the heart/lung shot. It offers the highest percentage of a clean kill. If I take a neck shot, it is at the base of the neck at the shoulders. It has been my experience that this shot will anchor them in their tracks.

I wish I had a camera on the last doe I shot on 11-11-11. It was about 70 yards from me and less than 5 minutes left of legal shooting light. I was hunting near a nasty thicket and did not want that deer running into it. I took the neck, base of the shoulder shot and the deer disappeared. There were several deer running off after the smoke from my muzzleloader cleared, so I was worried I may have missed. When I got over to where the doe was standing, I found her piled up with all 4 legs completely under her body. She had dropped straight down. It was like the "hammer of Thor" had hit her!