Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

VA Muzzleloader Buck

Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default VA Muzzleloader Buck

Just wanted to share my story of a good Virginia buck I was fortunate enough to kill this Monday. I posted it in the South Forum but figured not everyone goes there, so I thought I would post it here too.

Got settled in my climber Monday morning about 40 minutes before sunrise. About 6:50 I looked to my right and saw a buck with his nose to the ground coming at me. Buck was a small basket rack 8 pointer. I decided to pass on him since he was small and it was still early. As the morning passed and the temperature started rising I thought I may have made a mistake by passing on the early buck.

About 10:30 my luck changed as I heard a buck grunting and then heard footsteps coming through the woods. Looking to my right(same way the earlier buck had come from) I saw a doe walking. About 25 steps behind her I could see something else. As soon as he stepped out I knew he was a shooter. The doe stopped and he stopped about 60 yards from me. I took aim and slowly squeezed the trigger. The 240 grain XTP went into the base of the neck and shoulder. He went straight down without a single kick. Once I got down and got over to him I was thrilled! The pic in the woods is from a cell phone as I can never seem to remember my digital camera.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man what a beauty! I bet you were thrilled! Congrats man, great buck!!! Love that rack! It pays to pass the smaller ones, nice decision.

Where in VA are you hunting?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Man what a beauty! I bet you were thrilled! Congrats man, great buck!!! Love that rack! It pays to pass the smaller ones, nice decision.

Where in VA are you hunting?
I was hunting in Henry County on the VA/NC border.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Spike

Great Buck! Congrats!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

awesome buck man!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

That racks awesome man, bet you're glad you passed the little guy!
-Jake
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Spike

Great deer! Congrats...