Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your method for in-season scouting on public land >

Your method for in-season scouting on public land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your method for in-season scouting on public land

Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

The thing about public land is opening day everything changes. I bowhunt as well, so that's the time to scout for firearms season. One thing I'd try to figure is how the influx of humans will affect deer movements, often I'm wrong.
To me opening day on public land is more about luck than anything; but you can't win if you don't play...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd first start off with as much map information as I could get. Based on what I know of deer movement I'd find those features on the map, boil it down and head there. I'd also be prepared to go there sight and smell unseen or smelled. I'd even go so far as to build a map with way points and be in the area based on the map and gps before daylight.

I also listen. I have lists of places to go just from what people have said. Hunters just can't help giving out info especially when they want to impress others.

After coming up with a plan, I wouldn't expect it to all happen right away, and delighted if it did. When hunting a new place, giving it a 4 year time frame to figure it out is a good approach. It's what I do.

Scouting after the season is over is the best. I use a mapping software and compatable gps. I've gone back to places I scouted years early and killed deer based on the info. In the late winter put together a list of places you'd like to hunt and scout them out logging points in a gps. Go home and enter the info in a mapping software and the next season print off a map. Get there before daylight and you'll see the activity you saw the evidence of the year before.

Going cold can be productive after you've done the above for a few seasons because the signs make more sense, but you'll be very intrusive, not good. Still, I've killed deer doing it and it was a great feeling going in cold and coming home with my prize.

One of the easiest and most productive features for me is an inside corner.