Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad 4 Days Seymour, Tx.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bad 4 Days Seymour, Tx.

I seldom truly slam a product or service, but man what a bummer me and 5 buddies went through last week.

Based upon the recommendation of an agent that has done us good in the past, we booked a hunt with Longhorn out of Seymour, Tx. for a 4-day (11/5 -11/8) white tail and hog hunt ($2950) ... 1-buck(any class), 1-doe, 2-hogs. Price included lodging ... no meals. In the end none of us saw even 1 decent buck. And what puzzled me most was that 2 guys were taken each day to a property where hog and doe shooting were both prohibited. What was up with that ???

I admit conditions were poor ... hot 2 1/2 days with strong southerly winds and a bright high moon. Area has been very dry as has most of Texas. And peak estrus is probably still 7-10 day away. However, collectively we saw essentially squat. I'd estimate no more than 20 different bucks and maybe 15 different does in 4 days of 10-15 hours/day x 6 in the stand !!!

Five of us killed bucks .... 4 guys only to avoid "eating a tag". These 4 were basket racked 4x4's. One guy passed on the only 4x4 that he saw ... another smallish buck. One guy killed a funky, light mass 5x5 that might score about 100.

Outfitter was a very nice guy and accommodations very good. However he just does not appear to have much or enough decent deer area. And there seemed to be minimal options to move to other locations other than to shuffle us around on same property. All seemed to be smallish. I'm guessing each was under 500 acres or so.

Now turkeys ? He's got birds !! I bet I saw 30 different gobblers and 100 different hens.

I will not book a deer hunt with this outfit again, but might consider a turkey hunt.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

MojoTex I am a Floridian so please correct me if I am wrong. But I think you guys went to early. The rut in Texas is usually mid Dec. So they are not even in pre rut yet.

Did he have foodplots or feeders? If the deer had any browse at all. They are probably nocturnal.

Sorry about the bad trip it really sux when you plan and plan and plan.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

yeah we still got a little while till the rut hits full swing you came down a little early. And I don't think i would hunt up there near wichita falls personally i would hunt further south if I were to book a hunt. Did you guys see any hogs at least?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

According to the locals, doe estrus cycle usually kicks in about November 15 and holds pretty good through early December. We realized that we were well ahead of this time frame, but were hoping to catch bucks traveling about marking territory ... and of course coming to the feeders. And of course with the full moon and clear night skies most of the nights, we were up against a lot of night feeding. The huge wheat fields in the area didn't help much !! There was only one area on the property that I hunted that had anything resembling a planted "food plot". It was about 1/2 acre at most that had been disked up around the misquite trees and that one feeder, and planted with wheat. Nothing came to the food plot area the full day I hunted this area. Feeders were indeed set up, with timers set just prior to day break and again about 1 hour before sunset. What we all saw was feeders fire off, and a mad rush eitehr by young bucks or turkeys .... then it was "crickets" for 4 hours.

The group as a whole saw 3 hogs.

We have has hunted together off and one over the past 10 years - near Dumont, near Ft. Mc Kavett (sp), and near Sterling City. The best hunting we have come across has been in the Ft. Mc Kavet (sp) area. We were just trying something different. Frankly I don't think rut time would be much help the Seymour case. What I suspect is that the outfitter has some excellent turkey leases, and was trying to expand to deer huting using the same acreage. Just too little land.