Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Doe alerted by Doe-in-heat drag rag. >

Doe alerted by Doe-in-heat drag rag.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe alerted by Doe-in-heat drag rag.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe alerted by Doe-in-heat drag rag.

I had a really funny experience 2 nights ago. I had just got a few bottles of FRESH doe-in-heat lure, ( My buddy has pen raised deer and he collects the urine and I got it just after he had collected it) I took a drag rag in with me and placed it 20 yds upwind of me.
It had got dark and I was ready to leave as a doe came out of the corn. I didn't want to blow her out of there so I elected to just watch and leave after she did. She crossed my walk in trail and never noticed I was there. She hit that rag trail and went plumb nuts!!!!!! She jumped/ran off for bout 10yds. Stopped/stomped around and came back to the rag trail for almost 10 minutes and then headed off snorting for almost 75yds then over the hill. What the heck!?!?!??! It was like she knew that doe was not native to that area and was warning her maybe?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I's been several years ago i also put a drag line out hung it 20 yards down wind of my stand when 5 doe's came in .Four of the doe's never made anything out of it but the lead doe went crazy ,started stomping snorting ran of about 10 yards came back again .Once she got back to where the scent trail was she sniff the ground and went nuts again i mean she was on high allert.Finally she took off snorting like crazy and the other went with her.Thats what happens when you try and fool an old doe it's not going to happen .Shes been around awile so she know somethings not right .
Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Could very well be, bad urine or it was contaminated. Also , if there are'nt does in heat and you use estrus, you will spook them as well as bucks.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I go with the strange deer angle, unfamiliar doe.

Same concept as doe decoys..
I finally quit using a doe only set because the resident does would stand off 100yds and blow till the cows came home.

Switched to a buck as a single and it never happened again.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have stopped using "doe in heat" type lures until I have personally seen evidence of doe in my area in heat.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Could very well be, bad urine or it was contaminated. Also , if there are'nt does in heat and you use estrus, you will spook them as well as bucks.
If the urine was any fresher, the doe herself would have been there peeing on the ground herself!!!!!!! I got it with an hour of being collected and immediately put in the frig!!!! I get it home and keep it in the frig. I take it out and put it in a cooler to the hunting site and take it out and put it on the drag rag and in we go. I put the bottle back in cooler at the truck. Just whats in the glass jar is all I use for the hunt. I get 2 hunts out of a 2oz bottle. Wash out drag rag after 2nd hunt and trade out drag rags for others left out to air.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onion721
I go with the strange deer angle, unfamiliar doe.

Same concept as doe decoys..
I finally quit using a doe only set because the resident does would stand off 100yds and blow till the cows came home.

Switched to a buck as a single and it never happened again.
100% agree!!!!!!! Had it happen 3 yrs ago and cost me a 160-170 class buck following the does. Next day, same deke, 6pt rack on it, killed a doe 8ft from same deke in exact same spot.