Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

See here's Why

Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit one once and gave it 20 minutes because I saw blood pouring out of the wound,I bumped it another 100 yards after it had layed down. It bled out, but if I had it to do over again I think I would wait at least 45 to 60 minutes unless I had seen it drop. I hunt mostly wooded areas with some fields on the edges and of course they run into the woods not the fields most of the time it seems. The next one I gave 45 minutes it had bled out not more than 60 yards from where I hit it,that was an easy recovery. I guess every new hunt requires a different response but I have seen good results for most people who let them lay for a while.One thing that would cause me to give chase quicker is If coyotes are thick in the area,I would not feel good about leaving it lay very long in that situation.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Spike

I lost one this year on opening day. I had a perfect broad side shot at about 30 yards. The last time I saw him he was in high gear with the fletching sticking out of his left side and the broad head sticking out of the right side. Not one drop of blood. I looked for 2 hours that night and 3 hours the next morning, never found hide nor hair of him. A friend doing some scouting for black powder season found what was left of him and my arrow about 3/4 of a mile from where I shot him. I was sick about it.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

I never get down for at least 1 hour, I usually wait 2 unless I saw it crash - all bets are off if it's raining. I find a unique tree, rock, some type of landmark that I can walk to later and wait it out, especially if I think it's an errant shot. I also mark direction of travel with a compass since landmarks change coming down from an elevated position.

Getting down to soon and walking to the POI almost always pushes the deer since they are not far bedded down. Often times a wounded deer will circle back to where they came from since the spot they came from had no danger. Getting down in under an hour spoils this opportunity.

Sounds like the earlier poster had it right - low brisket - since he mule kicked. Most likely survives, good luck going forward Doug.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 11-04-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I truly thank everyone for their kind words and Good advice! I want everyone who reads this thread to take something away that will help them later if they find themselves in a similar situation. Do what works for you in your area and for the type of terrain you are hunting. Here's the thing. Where I hunt here in Kansas we have wooded creeks where the timber stretches maybe 40 or 50 yards on either side of the creek. After that it's all open pasture but some of these fields are grown up with knee high or taller grass and weeds. If I get down and get to the edge of the timber I can SEE where the deer is and is going from a 1/4 mile away. And if he walks or runs up the creek I can see that for at least 80 to 100 yards. BUT NOT if I stay in my treestand. I need to a least climb down to the ground level. This is what I'm talking about. I'm going to get down where I can watch that deer. If it's a good shot the deer should die within 5 minutes tops or less. It's the questionable shots that may take a little longer if they die at all. For me, where I hunt I'm going to keep eye contact whether it's with naked eye, binos, scope, whatever. And I'm going to check my arrow right away because most of the shots I take are 20 yards or less.
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just shot a doe the other evening at 20yrds. Perfect heart shot. Still waited 1/2 hour before climbing down out of my stand. Then I went to town, got an extra flashlight and batteries. I didn't start looking for 2-1/2hrs total. Even though it was passthrough shot there was hardly any blood. I found the deer almost 500yrds away under a blowdown. Actually stumbled upon her following a dry creekbed. I then tracked back to check out the blood trail. There was no blood the first 75yrds, then very little. I'm glad I found her. I got lucky. And this is with a "good" shot. The heart was actually cut almost in half and the deer went that far even without being "pushed".... I will never attempt to locate a deer without giving it at least an hour regardless of what I shoot it with. Unless of course I actually see it go down. Just my opinion. Good luck out there... there will be more opportunities.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default It always amazes me

the hit a deer can take and remain mobile. I once shot a deer w/ a 30-06 head on, dead center chest at @ 70 yds. I saw the deer pushed backward by the force; it then ran 90 yds across a field before collapsing. The interesting thing was that at least 1/3 of it's heart was simply gone.
BTW, that is a shot I'll never take again as the internals were turned to soup by bullet fragmentation-what a mess.
Myself, I keep my eye on the hit deer for as long as possible as well as listening carefully once I lose sight. If in doubt of shot placement I check the arrow as soon as the deer is gone, climbing down slowly. Usually I wait 30 min or so before tracking but if I'm losing light or it's raining/snowing maybe 10 min. Beyond sight and sound, using your sniffer can be invaluable as well when on a blood trail -particularly if the rut is on!

Here we have the opposite problem w/ space; many properties are not all that large and EVERYTHING adjacent is posted. Especially during rifle season, guys become very proprietary about other peoples property-leases or trespass fees are still a rarity here. In certain places, unless 3 or 4 smaller properties can be strung together it's not worth hunting as the possibility of losing a deer running from one property to another is just too high.
Though we all prefer otherwise, sometimes a wounded animal is simply not recovered. I guess that's why it's "hunting" not "shopping"...